Quantcast

Crankcase evacuation

huunz

I've been messing with my 650 Sand Spider for a couple of years now, and have gotten a lot more power out of it. I added a Fast Freddie Weber 45 DCOE kit, modified the header, tried a remote filter setup (didn't work), put long travel Fox Airshox on it, lightened the frame, jusat generally did a lot of old time hotrod tricks.

One trick i did was a crankcase evacuation setup. I'm out at Dumont now, and it sucks all the oil out of the engine through the exhaust pipe - it works too good! Now I need a new valve cover for a 650 Sand Spider (2 cylinder). Anyone?

One trick that did work - I port matched the entire intake. I put rags in the head to keep the debris from falling in, and gently ground out the bores until it was all smooth and clean. Big change! The intake ports were very "dirty", with a lot of random casting slag in the port itself.

Anyway, looking for a valve cover.....

No, it sucked the oil out into the header, where it burned/smoked, and made it look like an old 2 stroke. I stopped testing before I lost oil pressure, although I burned out about a quart over the weekend. I'd let it go down a half quart, then refill.

If I hadn't stopped, it would have probably sucked it all out. It also didn't let the oil in the upper end fall into the pan, so I lost oil pressure on and off after hard runs.

On the plus side, the new suspension is awesome, evening out the whoops and soaking up bumps, so the ride is very safe feeling. I was ripping the dunes pretty well. The mess on the lens is oil that spewed out and I didn't catch until I watched the videos.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.