Quantcast

Crankcase evacuation

huunz

I've been messing with my 650 Sand Spider for a couple of years now, and have gotten a lot more power out of it. I added a Fast Freddie Weber 45 DCOE kit, modified the header, tried a remote filter setup (didn't work), put long travel Fox Airshox on it, lightened the frame, jusat generally did a lot of old time hotrod tricks.

One trick i did was a crankcase evacuation setup. I'm out at Dumont now, and it sucks all the oil out of the engine through the exhaust pipe - it works too good! Now I need a new valve cover for a 650 Sand Spider (2 cylinder). Anyone?

One trick that did work - I port matched the entire intake. I put rags in the head to keep the debris from falling in, and gently ground out the bores until it was all smooth and clean. Big change! The intake ports were very "dirty", with a lot of random casting slag in the port itself.

Anyway, looking for a valve cover.....

No, it sucked the oil out into the header, where it burned/smoked, and made it look like an old 2 stroke. I stopped testing before I lost oil pressure, although I burned out about a quart over the weekend. I'd let it go down a half quart, then refill.

If I hadn't stopped, it would have probably sucked it all out. It also didn't let the oil in the upper end fall into the pan, so I lost oil pressure on and off after hard runs.

On the plus side, the new suspension is awesome, evening out the whoops and soaking up bumps, so the ride is very safe feeling. I was ripping the dunes pretty well. The mess on the lens is oil that spewed out and I didn't catch until I watched the videos.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By nods
      Less than 40 miles can barely start. Dealer is working with Hisun on a number of other issues on this UTV. Can not get clear info on the meaning of these E codes this is getting. Anybody have some clear info for me?
    • By jim fisher
      i just purchased a 2024 g2 z force 800 and would like to power some accessories with out hardwiring would a 3 way cig lighter adapter work plugged into the 12 volt outlet on the machine each splitter plug has on/off switch accessories include led light bar, micro midland 2 way radio and maybe a bluetooth soundbar obviously wouldnt be running these at same time.
    • By catalyst
      We own a 2020 Kubota RTV-XG-850, with only 400 hours on it and it has been at the dealer 3+ months. We were just informed our engine failed and requires a complete rebuild at only 400 hours! There is a loss of compression in cylinder #1, which is causing backfiring and a loss of power. There is also excess gas in the engine oil. 
      We are just outside of the manufacture's warranty period, and they are serving us a nearly $5000 repair bill, with only a 90 day warranty.

A member at a different forum had the same issue at 22 hours and fortunately, his RTV is under warranty. He was informed that "short tripping" (as Kubota describes it) causes gasoline to enter into the engine oil, which causes a dilution of engine oil and eventually leads to catastrophic engine failure. This killed our engine in under 400 hours!

Is anyone else with a 2018-2022 XG-850 running into similar issues?

• By Charles Green
      Where does an Axis 500 receive power from?  Is there a relay from the ignition switch or is the pump controlled by the ECM? Asking for some folks that are having issues that seem to be a lost ground.
    • By sxsadventurerally
      It’s time for the 10th Annual SXS Adventure Rally on the Rocks. Join us in the best sandbox this side of your childhood playground! Experience the thrill of exploration, the excitement of speed, the sensation of Mother Nature and machines.
      Come to gorgeous Southern Utah as the best industry Side by Sides and UTV's hit the sand, dunes, rocks and endless vistas of Sand Hollow State Park for the adventure of a lifetime. May is perfect riding weather and is sure to bring a smile to everyone’s face.
      This SXS/UTV family friendly event will overload the senses with professionally guided trail rides, rock crawling, camping, factory demo rides, rock crawling competitions, scenic rides, education classes, cornhole tournament, music concerts and more.
      Official expert guided trail rides are just $50 per person per day. Vendor areas, demo rides and entertainment fun open to the public with state park entry.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ENTER THE EVENT TO COME ENJOY THE VENDORS AND DO TEST/DEMO DRIVES WITH INDUSTRY MANUFACTURERS.
      For more information and full 2024 event schedule and fees. Have questions? Hit the FAQ page: https://SXSAdventureRally.com/faq
      ~ PURSUE YOUR SXS/UTV PASSION ~
      Sponsored by:
      GBCTires.com – Presenting Sponsor
      Sponsorship and Vendor opportunities available. Please contact us for more information and bring your business to the true grass roots of the sport! 
      Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/SXSAdventureRallyOnTheRocks or @SXSAdventureRallyOnTheRocks
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SXSAdventureRallyOnTheRocks

For Additional Information, contact [email protected] or (435) 703-4444‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬