Quantcast

Kubota 400ci or Gator TS?

Hi there! I'm a total newbie to the market and am not even sure if I'm posting this in the right forum area. I'm looking for a side-by-side machine that can handle lots of light farm/homestead work. I've focused on the Kubota 400ci and the John Deere Gator TS. Both are right in my price range (less than $10K). I'm leaning toward the Kubota because:

-Kubota has zero percent financing, compared to JD's current rate of 4.5 percent
-It's 4x4, whereas that's an expensive upgrade for the Gator.

Things that are important to me:
-Dump bed. This is a necessity, and the stronger the better. I'll be hauling firewood, dirt, lots of kids, etc.
-Ability to pull a trailer, which will often be loaded with firewood and other supplies.
-Ability to get out of the mud. This is why 4x4 is important to me. I may eventually add a snow blade, but not right now.
-Low maintenance and low maintenance costs. I can change oil, belts and plugs, but I would rather not do anything more than that.

Things that are not important to me:
-Top end speed. I have no real need for anything to go over 20 mph. Sure it would be fun, but I don't want it to affect the decision.
-Super sporty looks. I like the look of both the Kubota and Gator, so that's not really a deal breaker.

The only real concerns I have about the Kubota is the CVT transmission. Perhaps it's great, but I assume it's much more expensive to fix that the simple belt-driven Gator.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I have a first year 2011 Kubota 400 ci EFI UTV. Great little machine. Steel dump bed. Will tow small trailers with ease Simple machine except for the fuel system. Caution: if the throttle body system needs to be repaired or replaced, you must buy the paired ECM to go with it. Last time I checked about $1,500 for the parts alone.

On another note, you can fulfill your budget requirements with a deal on a Polaris 570 Full Size 3 seater or a Can Am Defender 800 3 seater. Both are impressive machines with far more room, horsepower, and torque. 

• Like 1