Quantcast

2012 Polaris ranger/razor

Grub

Recently went pt look at a razor for sale. The seller had just washed it,and it started and ran ok,till I took it for a test drive. It quit after about 1/2 mile. Towed it back, can’t get it to restart. Well a friend of mine has the same machine and he said when he washes his it runs crappy till it’s dried out. Then it’s fine no matter if he is out muddying and getting it wet any old time.  Wondering if anyone else has this issue with them? 

I have a 2013 Polaris Ranger 900, which I’ve owed since I bought it off the show room floor.   

I’ve never had an issue with it stalling after washing it or riding it through water.  However, I would say I’ve never had it in deeper water than about 16-18” deep.  I have not fully submerged mine and never plan too.  Also it’s been garaged kept it’s entire life other than when I am out abusing it.  

I also have an aftermarket clutch, programmer, Elka 5.0 fully adjustable shocks, and drive it like I stole it.   I take care of it, but I really do drive it hard.  My main UTV buddies both have turbo RzR’s 1000.   I want mine for play and to use around the property and for hunting.  

I would be careful on the one with a stalling issue.   None of ours stall out after getting wet.  

just my 2 cents …

Seems strange that between both machines they do the same thing. I got a call from the seller saying he replaced the battery, sparkplug and fuel yesterday. He is going to run it over the weekend and I'll see how it goes for him. I'm a mechanic so I'm sure I can figure it out if there is issues, but if it continues, I'll not purchase it.  Heck it took me a month to figure out my 99 jeep for electrical issues. Turned out a bad wire from the crank sesnsor.

Obviously, if there is a loose or bad wire/connection somewhere, it can be repaired.    But, chasing those electrical gremlins can be a royal pain.  It does make it easier when you have mechanical skills and know where to look.  If you decide to dive in, make sure to get a good deal!   Best of luck.  

• 2 weeks later...

Talked with a couple people that have worked on these. Both said they had to replace the ignition switch when this happens. They also said they are ok even when out mudding , but when washing them down the switch gets wet, expecicaly with a pressure washer. I’m picking up the machine tonight, we’ll see how it goes. 
I’m a mechanic and boat master electrician so it shouldn’t be a real tough thing to diagnose of it does it again. Thanks for the replies!

Edit: I did go and test drive it again and it was fine after he replaced the battery. I’m still leaning toward the switch at this point.