Quantcast

Mule jumps out of forward gear

Will

I just bought a 1994 Mule KAF450 b-1 and when I got it home found that it popped out of forward gear. I'm waiting for a manual to help troubleshoot it but think that the cause may be the shifting dogs on the shuttle shifter and the forward gear are rounded off. Anyone had any experience with this type problem? I'm not sure if those parts are still available and if not may try to weld the parts and reshape them to rebuild the dogs.

Thanks...

Will

• 1 month later...

Will,

I went thru a similar predicament, but mine was a broken internal case where the shifter shaft went thru the top of the case. I tried welding it but that didn't work because the hole was too elongated. If I had access to a milling machine it could've been bored straight and had a bushing inserted. My gears were in fine shape...it was just not able to shift into place due to the sloppy shaft. One other critical issue is that you get the idle down below 900 RPM or it won't want to drop into gear. The driven clutch is spinning over pretty fast to slide those gears into place if the idle is too high. These things will idle down to nothing if the carb is clean, etc. You may adjust the shifter cable to put more pressure on the cable. Unfortunately, it "pushes" the cable into forward, while pulling it into reverse. You can adjust it to a point where it won't clear the nuetral notch in the dashboard if you go too far. It also won't start, as it needs to sense the nuetral shifter position. I did have to replace my cable, as it was too wippy and wouldn't push the shifter shaft into the proper position.

Good Luck!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By BernieG
      I could really use some help identifying some disconnected components on a Yard Sport YS400. The first part is this pipe, which comes out of the exhaust port area or the cylinder. It looks like it had a piece of rubber hose on it, but the hose is gone, and I have no idea what it was previously connected to.

The second item is this vacuum valve looking thing.  Again only one line is still attached.  What is it's function and what other lines should be connected to it?

The last thing is this hose, which exits the side top of the fuel tank (not the fuel line hose) but is not connected to anything

Any help the community could provide would be greatly appreciated.  This UTV belongs to a friend, and I am trying to help him get it running correctly for his kids.
    • By Steve B
      My "R" light on the dash will not go out when I take the UTV out of reverse and put it into any other gear. Is this just the light switch issue or will this effect engine performance in the other gears?
    • By Ronald
      I just purchased an Axis Pro 750 from Lowes.  I have two questions not covered in owners manual.  1:  In the glovebox there is a 12V connector, it is HOT with key off, is that for a battery maintainer to be plugged in or what is the purpose?  2:  In the instrument cluster there is a digital read out for hours, miles and odometer,  there is also a digital readout that is flashing, it can be adjusted and looks like 1 - 24  what is it?
    • By Travis
      Many people have issues with the kawasaki FJ400 engine  fouling out spark plugs, after  working on a  few FJ engines and 600 series Mule's with this issue,  i can say the fix for this issue is using a slightly hotter spark plug... the factory recommends a BPR6ES NGK plug.... the Number in NGK plugs represents its heat range and somewhat odd, the lower the number the hotter the plug, at least as far as NGK is concerned. If you have  a Mule fouling spark plugs try installing a NGK BPR4ES spark plug.
      FROM NGK
      A hotter heat range spark plug has an insulator design with a longer heat flow path to the metal shell of the plug. As a result, more heat stays in the ceramic firing end and less is dissipated to the engine. A colder heat range spark plug has an insulator design with a shorter heat flow path to the metal shell of the plug. As a result, less heat stays in the ceramic firing end and more is dissipated to the engine. For a spark plug to function properly, it must have a tip temperature high enough to burn off carbon deposits (self-cleaning) and avoid fouling, while remaining low enough to avoid overheating the ceramic firing end and pre-ignition.
    • By wnc woods
      Is it possible to add a low gear to the Coleman ut400? If so please help. Ty