Quantcast

stand alone ecu

don

Go to the Megasquirt DIY site. http://www.diyautotune.com/ It will run the Trooper right out of the box but you will need to fine tune it. You really don't do any programing, you just adjust settings and the site has all information required to do it. You will have to do some reading to get up on things but its all there and you will get a great education on engine management. You will have total control over all aspects of engine management including being able to increase the rev limit to what ever you want. Megasquirt is the least expensive system out there and is highly respected.

I used the MS3 with the MS3 extra card giving me sequential injection. I used a wasted spark but the MS3 extra allows for sequential spark if you use logic coil on plug spark coils. They may have changed the ECU models by now and maybe the pro includes the extra card. It is worth it and $1200 is about right. You will have to go to a wide band air fuel ratio sensor along with some GM engine temp sensors but not to much extra stuff. Its mostly being willing to read their stuff which is rather extensive but very educational. You are currently tuned for best fuel efficiency and emissions but with the Megasquirt you will be able to tune for max torque and HP. The pro looks like what I had but bunched together on one circuit board and with additional improvements. The Megasquirt forum is just full of knowlegeable users willing to help in any way they can. If you are running a turbo, I can send you a copy of the tune I used which might be close to what would work for you. It could give you a starting point anyway. I also have a very detailed schematic of my complete setup I could give you. This would help save you a lot of head scratching even if yours is set up a bit different.

• 1 month later...

Don, I will get that to you when I get a chance. Remember, mine was supercharged so there will be differences. Basic wiring should be very similar.

2scoops, I would think that you could get another 15 hp out of it with a programmable ECU. However that would only be if you first opened up and matched the ports. That alone could add maybe 15 hp so with a new ECU and that, that could be as much as 30 hp. It will require a good dyno tuner to tune it for max power. My first dyno guy got me 76 hp at the wheels and said that that was about it for this sized engine. Then I found a good tuner that got 130 hp out of mine.