Quantcast

Mule 610 starting problems

I have an 06 Mule 610 with about 650 hours on it. I have been having in intermittent problem with starting. The battery is good, no loose ground wires, or any other easily identified issues. But about 50% of the time when you turn the key, you can hear (and feel) the solenoid moving in the starter motor, but the motor itself fails to turn, so it does not start. And then 5 minutes later you might be able to go back to it and turn the key and it will start right up. Or it won't start at all. But every time you can hear the solenoid moving.

I have pretty much decided that the starter needs to be replaced. I can see it sitting there right on top of the engine. (Did I mention that my mule is 120 miles away from where I am sitting now? I keep it at my property and only get to use it - or work on it - on the weekends.) But when I look in the service manual - man, they have you removing a whole lot of parts, apparently just to allow you to get to it. (You are instructed to remove the torque converter among other parts.) And some of these steps require tools that I don't have.

I would prefer to do this work myself as the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. Anyone have first-hand experience changing the starter? Is it really as hard as it is described in the service manual?

Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...

Yes, to get to the starter you have to remove the torque converter........sad but true......poor part placement. It's not a hard job to do as long as you have the puller for the converter. Without the puller you'll be making up all kinds of new swear words.... :\.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.