Quantcast

Tinman

T2 tranny issue/output shaft question

I'll get right to the issue in the hopes someone else has come across this:

on my T2 1100 (20,000 miles on original clutch), driving up a climb in third gear, power is interrupted as if there's a missing tooth on the gear or the spline is worn down and the gear slips. I hear no grinding. Just a sudden power 'hiccup'.

Neither seems likely, but I can't explain the issue.

Checked:

differentials. changed the oil, no metal pieces and oil runs clean. Nothing on drain plug magnets. I will be doing the same to transmission oil...

This happens on 4x4. Not sure if it happens on 2 wheel drive, as i usually run it always on 4x4

Has anyone had splines strip, or issues with third gear?

OUTPUT SHAFT

I know of issues where the end has sheared off. Are the new output shafts supplied by joyner better?

If I have to open the tranny, might as well replace that too...

Anything else I ahould replace now that I'm at it?

Thanks to all for any recommendations...

hey Tinman...not sure how much I can help,Ive never run into your situation (yet) I cant think of anything yet that would cause a power "hiccup" only in 1 gear..I would definitely check/change transmission oil and see what that tells you...have had a couple of 3-4 shift forks fail,(not in mine) but that normally would mean a no shift situation (maybe yours bent/cracked???..altho have never seen it)..as for the new joyner output shafts..I dont believe anyones claimed they are "better" however if you choose to install new ones...at least you know they've have 20,000 less miles of stress on them...I too recommend that people run in 4wd most/all of the time..I believe it lessens the amount of stress on the machine(output shafts,u joints,axles etc)

...just my 3 cents...Hardy

How are your synchros, If and when I get into mine again, I'll definitely change out all my synchro but 3re gear is bad enough to give me a reason to get into it, and some, mainly Lenny, says to beef up the throw out bearing arm.

Thanks Hardy and Kinarfi.

2nd gear is ok but not great. I have to give it a half-second, but when I do, it doesn't grind. Everything shifts fine, which is weird. I'll keep looking. we're usually out every week in th mountains, and wife gets antsy when something pops up...

I'll post the issue once I find it