Quantcast

Steering tie rods hit wheels

Kinarfi

I had some problems with the wheels hitting the steering tie rods during sharp turns so I took my dremel tool to them and ground off some welding bumps and I thought I had it fixed. I also had a problem making hard turns, it would seem to get harder to turn about half way to full lock turns. To fix this, I did a modification to allow me to take out the free play between the sliding gear and the top of the box and then I took it down to my local tire guy and they said I had zero toe in, So I adjusted it so I had about 5/8" toe in, should be .98", but I have severe tie rod wheel interference now.

One of the things I learned on my 08 Trooper was that minimum turn radius was determined by the CVs, if you adjusted for to too tight of turn, the CVs bound up, on my 2015, I couldn't even turn it to the stops with out grinding the inside of the wheel off. So I took a grinder to the tie rods and got it to where I can just hit the stops with out stopping the wheel from spinning. Take a look my photo at https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByQAhs0e-yF9UFA2ZmdzOVQ0TzQ&usp=sharing . There are more photos in the zipped file.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it.

Jeff

Sent an email to Brandon at Joyner USA yesterday about my problem with the tie rods hitting the wheel and I got my reply today, He's going to replace all 5 wheels and both tie rods because of the damage I did to them with a grinder to get the clearance I needed, FOR FREE. I'm very pleased with Brandon and Joyner, They've taken really,really good care of me and my problems.

Keep up the good work Brandon,

Jeff

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By BernieG
      I could really use some help identifying some disconnected components on a Yard Sport YS400. The first part is this pipe, which comes out of the exhaust port area or the cylinder. It looks like it had a piece of rubber hose on it, but the hose is gone, and I have no idea what it was previously connected to.

The second item is this vacuum valve looking thing.  Again only one line is still attached.  What is it's function and what other lines should be connected to it?

The last thing is this hose, which exits the side top of the fuel tank (not the fuel line hose) but is not connected to anything

Any help the community could provide would be greatly appreciated.  This UTV belongs to a friend, and I am trying to help him get it running correctly for his kids.
    • By Retired Plumber
      The rear differential lock light is on and I would like to get it off. How do I do that it is a Coleman UTV700.
    • By htrotte
      Is it possible to add power steering?  If so where do I find parts?
    • By kgs
      Got a hisun sector 550 2019 that's got 5900 Miles on it, this year it started to getting hard to start in morning, once I get it started it works good the rest of the day. But to start it in the morning I got to hold the gas pedal to the floor and it will fire up. I replaced the fuel injector but didn't help it. So I just ordered a new air filter and 02 sensor and a maf sensor to put on it to see if this will fix it. Anyone else had this problem. I'm hoping the parts I ordered will fix it. I also bought a new battery to put in it also.
    • By great8redsfan
      Okay folks. I have a low power issue. Been like this for a few years. Place I work at bought 3 and all have lost most of the pulling power.  They gave them away after local shop worked on one for 3 months and it had great power for about 1 month and then crap. They replaced throttle body, fuel injector, spark plug and IAC motor. Seat belt switches have wires cut and left open so no seat belt warning light anymore. It revs to 6k rpm in neutral but when put in gear and take off in low it just doesn’t seem to want to go anymore. Running 93 octane fuel with Stabil.  Any ideas greatly appreciated. I dont have a scan tool but no codes on dash. If held to floor it pops a little and runs almost 5K rpm but if I let off pedal about an inch it smoothed out and revs up to 6k rpm.