Quantcast

Distributor problem

Rasken

Hi. 

After i put on my Yamaha r6 carbs on my Joyner 650, my distributor failed, it stopped working. Then i put in a new one, and that also failed. It happens when i run a few minutes at max speed, about 60mph. Its not the rotor or cap, its something else. 

So, is there something i can do to make it hold? What could be the problem? Or is it just bad luck? 

Is there anyway to rebuild the distributor to make it better? 

/Jonas

Can I presume that you've verified that the coil is producing a spark and the plug/coil wires are not leaking?  I ran into a problem with my Suburban.  The plug wires were leaking high voltage.  You can seen the corona discharge around the plug wires in a darkened garage (easier to see at night).    Heat can cause the insulation to breakdown resulting in severe engine misfire especially under load or acceleration. That was my experience.

The coil works fine and I cant see any damage to the plug wires, i even measured them and all the values looked great. What happend is that the distributor directly breaks without a warning. I think it is those electrical things inside the distributor where it goes two cable to thats breaks. After changing the whole dist. everything works fine again.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.