Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
UTVBoard News

Polaris Ranger used in Botched Attempt to Smuggle Drugs

dope_5fdunes-736224.jpg

Monday, December 22, 2008

Yuma, Ariz. - Yuma Sector agents arrested drug smugglers posing as off-road enthusiasts, Sunday afternoon.About 3 p.m., Border Patrol agents patrolling the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area noticed two individuals on the Mexican side of the international boundary fence scouting out the immediate area. Later agents observed a Polaris Ranger off-road vehicle, on the U.S. side of the fence, drive to meet up with the two scouts. The scouts threw four bundles of marijuana over the fence to the driver of the vehicle; the driver placed the bundles into the back of the Polaris Ranger.

Agents maintained constant surveillance of the vehicle as it drove north to the Midway Campground and stopped at a motor home parked at the campsite. The driver exited the vehicle, entered the motor home briefly, then exited and resumed driving the Polaris Ranger – at this point Border Patrol agents stopped the driver, arrested him and seized the marijuana.

Border Patrol agents and a detection K-9 searched the motor home for other illicit narcotics but were unable to locate any. Agents discovered a male and female occupant with extensive criminal history involving narcotics in the motor home; Jonathan Berry and Jeannine Landreneaux. Landreneaux’s records checks also revealed an active warrant for her arrest for narcotics originating from California.The driver of the vehicle, Russell Carter, also had extensive criminal history involving narcotics.The marijuana weighed 93 pounds with an estimated value of $74,000 and was turned over to the Imperial County Sheriff’s Office. Carter and Landreneaux were taken into custody by ICSO. The Polaris Ranger was seized by ICSO.The general public is reminded to observe a 100-foot enforcement zone from the international boundary fence in order to avoid hazardous and sometimes violent illegal cross-border activity, and to allow to Border Patrol to conduct operations within the area.U.S. Customs and Border Protection is the unified border agency within the Department of Homeland Security charged with the management, control and protection of our nation's borders at and between the official ports of entry. CBP is charged with keeping terrorists and terrorist weapons out of the country while enforcing hundreds of U.S. laws.

ISDRA-BorderFence-5-701121.jpg Border Fence near the Imperial Sand Dunes

View the full article

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this