Quantcast

Freedom County 1" wheel spacers

Long intro--bear with me...

I have come to realize that if I get 3500-4000 miles out of the OEM Wanda tires on my 2020 Hisun HS400 I will be doing quite well--I suspect this is due in large part to my being able to get it registered as fully "street legal" (in Florida) and use of that status to make trips to the gas station/beer store (2 miles West) ) and the beach (2 miles East) on a paved road (Florida State Road 206). Going to the beer store I have to straddle the right-of-way with two wheels on the pavement--going to the beach I am right on the road at 40-45 MPH.

In any event, at 620 miles I have already shaved 3/32" or so off the tread.

So, while cruising Craigslist I found a fellow sellin g brand new set of tire and wheels, take-offs from his son's new 2021 Honda Rubicon¹. A set of Maxxis OEM 25x10-12 and 25x8-12 tires just as I will need, on 4x110 bolt pattern wheels--for just $125.  The only quirk was that the offset on he rear wheels is about an inch shy of what my HS400 wants--no problem says I , that's why God invented wheel spacers.

So, next mission was to cruise Amazon and see what Prime could bring me--so I found a pair of 1" spacers for just $34 w/tax & shipping from some outfit calling themselves Freedom County ATV. The only issue was their crappy ad copy made no mention of stud size, just bolt circle--but as a Prime member I'll just send ;em back if they are not M10 x 1.25--it will be  on the vendor's dime.

Got them today, they are M10 x 1.25 and are very well made--nicely machined and the fit and finish are  great, the studs are marked ass being metric class 12.9, best their is.

-------------------------------------------
¹ - The kid of course,--being a kid--had to run out immediately, empty his bank account and screw up the new toy's suspension with a "lift-kit" and bigger wheels and tires.

Anyway, here's my Amazon review:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got these today (2nd day delivery) and was very pleased with their fit, finish, and value--the reason for my 1 star rating is to see if I can get someone's attention re: their crappy ad copy--specifically absolutely NO mention of the stud size-- which is (drum roll please) M10 x 1.25.

This is a VERY critical specification and the vendor's not listing same, and other critical dimensions, is inexcusable.

I fiddled around the web for a couple of days attempting to determine the stud size (even left a message on Freedom County's website via their "Contact Us" online form--with no response > 48 hours later. I.e. do not expect much support from these people. I ordered them anyway thinking if they do not fit WTF, it's Prime I'll just send 'em back--which would be very unfortunate as it would waste everybody's time & money (time only for me).

This in unfortunate as the product is top notch and a great value. The M10 x 1.25 studs are marked as being metric class 12.9 strength, the highest their is--and greater than SAE Grade 8.

I have included other dimensions on the attached photos. They are not "hub-centric" on my Hisun HS400, however the base of the mounting nut bores are conical, matching the provided nuts; so they aligned nicely.

Again, I do recommend these spacers but it remains lamentable that he vendor did not provide complete specs and has no other method of contact other that their online contact "form" (annoying and silly things that seem rarely responded to).

BTW--turns out that the stud size is mentioned (just "mentioned" by another customer, not specified) in the 16th or 17th customer question.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do recommend them despite there likely being NO customer support--as these are just a $34  "either they work or they don't" product that doesn't really matter...

FCSpacer-00.thumb.jpg.1ffa4b3d45730143bb762bc9d1f3dc71.jpg

FCSpacer-01.thumb.jpg.06a7e8d1dd50f12ad588cd7ac22ff45c.jpg

FCSpacer-02.thumb.jpg.81618966b41a0143058e9c82f1b84a14.jpg

A final note. In playing about with all of this I found that the HS400 has a 44." front track, and 41" track at the rear? This may explain the odd squirmy tracking I have experienced in heavily rutted soft sand at he beach. I think I will install the spacers with the stock rear wheels to get a 43" track at he rear and see if it improves the tracking on the sand. If it does I will likely need to get a set of 2" spacers when I install the Rubicon wheels and tires--but the ding-dong outfit (Freedom County ATV) sells 2" spacers too...

• Like 1

Rode 10-12 miles today (off road, and straddling the right-of-way on a "main drag'"), a very different ride--it appears the +8% or so increase in the rear swing arms' effective length due to the spacers has softened the ride quite a bit ( in a positive direction). I had not expected such a dramatic and noticeable change--haven't been on the beach yet, hope that's better too...

Rode 5 miles or so on the beach today, it tracks better in the deep soft sand ruts, but the back-end still wants to squirm about in the worst of it. No traction issues, it just likes to shake it's booty a bit...

I wanted to add that while re-torquing the spacers I found the OEM "acorn" style lug nuts were very nearly "bottoming out" on the spacer studs--so I cut 1/4" off eaxh. I started with a SawzAll and a Starrett bi-metal 18 pt. blade--but only got about 1.3rd way through one stud before the blade was history (I.e. these studs are HARD alloy steel)--finished them up with a 4-1/2" right-anglegrinder and cut-off wheel.

I was surprised they were that hard...