Quantcast

Flange coupling question

Psparr
Go to solution Solved by Ben1098,

Leaking oil from the output shaft. I pulled the flange coupler off, and there appears to be what’s left of a plastic bushing behind the metal washer. It isn’t in the parts diagram, and am wondering if the plastic is moulded into the flange coupler to seal around the shaft? Best I can figure without buying another one to find out. Any help I’d appreciated. 

• Solution

What you found is the hardened sealant put on the output shaft/coupling cup.  It only looks like a manufactured part as it was "molded" to almost make it look like a 2 stroke rod bearing cage.  Clean it good as in getting all the hardened sealant "needles" and oil off.  Apply sealant sparingly to the outside of the shaft spline (you don't want a goober pushed into the engine/tranny case).  Next, give a good coating to the coupler spline inside (this will be pushed outward to the threaded end when pushed onto the output shaft).  This seals the spline/coupler interface.  Next coat the washer face surface of the coupler and add some to the cleaned washer face also.  Slide on the washer, smashing out a blob of sealant to seal the washer to the coupling and also have some seal to the nut when you buzz down the nut.  Use a quality NON-HARDENING SEALANT.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 8:12 PM, Ben1098 said:

What you found is the hardened sealant put on the output shaft/coupling cup.  It only looks like a manufactured part as it was "molded" to almost make it look like a 2 stroke rod bearing cage.  Clean it good as in getting all the hardened sealant "needles" and oil off.  Apply sealant sparingly to the outside of the shaft spline (you don't want a goober pushed into the engine/tranny case).  Next, give a good coating to the coupler spline inside (this will be pushed outward to the threaded end when pushed onto the output shaft).  This seals the spline/coupler interface.  Next coat the washer face surface of the coupler and add some to the cleaned washer face also.  Slide on the washer, smashing out a blob of sealant to seal the washer to the coupling and also have some seal to the nut when you buzz down the nut.  Use a quality NON-HARDENING SEALANT.

Thank you! Makes perfect sense now. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.