Quantcast

2012 Big Horn 700 starting issue

TomW
Go to solution Solved by TomW,

I was driving the UTV the other day when it simply died. I was using the sprayer which might have drained the 3 year old battery and the stator didn't recharge it. I towed it to my shop and charged the battery . The next morning it cranked first time and I drove it home . I parked it and turned it off . I then tried to crank it and it would only make a weak click noise . I changed the battery and the voltage regulator but it would still only click. I noticed on the digital display that the reverse light was illuminated and would stay illuminated no matter what gear I selected . If I put it in low that light would light but the reverse light stayed on . Same thing for neutral . I shorted the two poles on the starter solenoid with the key on and it cranked up easily and idled fine. You could put it in reverse and it would move backwards  and you could put it in low and it would drive forward. The entire time the reverse light stayed on . I checked the fuses and they all looked good . So lets say I get a new started solenoid . If I replace it and it now starts with the key what is the issue with the reverse light . Is it harmful? What else needs to be done to correct ? Any ideas out there.

This acts like you have a shorted wire going to the shift position indicator switch, a bad connection in the shift indicator wiring or a bad shift position indicator switch.
Since it doesn't light the neutral light the indicator switch or wiring is not making the circuit and so it will not start without in showing in neutral.

Edited by Dreaded
left something out

First thing I would check is the plug connecting the shift position indicator switch or neutral indicator switch This depends on if the machine has a multi-function position switch or a single switch.
It is supposed to close the switch to ground to turn the indicator on and it should also act as a safety switch to prevent starting if it is not in neutral.

I reread your post and you say the starter solenoid does click when you try to start it. That indicates a bad starter solenoid. The contacts do go bad often in those and most like will be the cause of not starting.
Some machines do not have a neutral safety where it has to be in neutral to start.
The indicators lights will be the wiring or the switch causing the problem with the lights. Do an online search and there are videos that show how to replace that switch and where it is located.

Edited by Dreaded
clarification

I replaced the starter solenoid relay. It made absolutely no difference. When I tell you that I turn the key and I hear a click it's a single click and it's very very faint. The lights on the instrument panel continue to show the reverse lit as well as any other gear that you put it in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Turns out it was the starter solenoid relay . The one I replaced it with was bought on Amazon and simply did not work. I got a second more reliable relay and now it starts without any problem. The reverse light indicator turned out to be a loose wire. Just thought you guys would like to know the outcome. TWM