Quantcast

2013 UT 500 won't go into reverse.

At the end of last year my Coleman UT 500 will not go into reverse. I can hold it over toward the reverse to move it nut it won't lock into reverse. Anyone have this problem? Winter is just about over and going to have to get this resolved. Thank You!

Look up some of my old posts on shift issues.  The throw from the shifter end is "less than" the required travel to get F N and R.  Adjustment of the shift linkage will give

F and N....or.....N and R.  Look for the post on how to shorted by 1/8" by cuttiing the "bell crank" plate and rewelding  to make it shorter.  

I imagine my 550 linkage is similar to your 500. I have to be sure my engine is at complete idle, and sometimes have to press hard on my brake to get it to shift into reverse. Now it may be the adjustment is a little off, but so far the above steps has allowed me to get it into reverse.

• 2 weeks later...

Try playing with the adjustment. The 500/550's don't have the same shifter cable/lever issues as the 40's but the cable can stretch over time.

If you're getting grinding and popping out of gear it could be worn clutch dogs too, which require some effort to replace as they're internal to the transmission.

If you're having shift issues and grinding it's best to be proactive about adjusting because it does damage the dogs over time, and eventually will just pop out of gear at will once the dogs are rounded enough.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 11:41 AM, lonerider98 said:

At the end of last year my Coleman UT 500 will not go into reverse. I can hold it over toward the reverse to move it nut it won't lock into reverse. Anyone have this problem? Winter is just about over and going to have to get this resolved. Thank You!

So when push hard on the brake and I mean hard it will go into reverse. Is there a brake switch that could be going bad or Do you all think it's a adjustment fro the shift cable?

I haven't had a lot of time to really get into this. just picking brains right now. Thanks for any help!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.