Quantcast

Particles in differential

Guest Lenny

Guest Lenny

Got your PM 2Scoops about the particles in the differential. Couldn't PM you back, your mail box must be full. Anyway, the particles is something common in these diffs. They are generally aluminum. Put a magnet in the oil and probably the particles will not stick. Seems like no matter how many times I take a diff apart, having put new oil in it from the last time, the particles seem to show up from somewhere. In my case, I noticed a slight bit of scraping against the aluminum case that didn't concern me. Everyone is finding the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it as it doesn't seem to be leading to any problems. Do check it inside to see if you can see anything that might be touching the cases. The ring gear bolts coming loose could be touching the case or even the safty wire when it breaks and sticks out could be scraping the case. The upgrade kit will not stop your oil from being speckled with the particles but no problems arrise from it. The kit will help you set up your diff to correct running tollerances and it will have less slop while aligning the ring gear to the pinion gear correctly. This alignment is important and both the ring gear assembly and the pinion gear assembly should be held to within a few thousands to the correct alignment from both directions. You don't want the ring gear to be allowed to go too far out away from the ring gear center or too far in towards the center. Likewise, you don't want the ring gear to run too tight against the pinion gear now be allowed to move away from it too far. When setup, you should be able to turn the pinion gear shaft by hand without any tight spots nor surplus play between the ring gear and pinion gear. Keep changing shims until you get it close. There is no such thing as getting them perfect as the trueness of the gears are not perfect but when set up properly, everything will be just fine. The main problem with the diffs is that the bolts shear and the gears are mis-aligned which chips the gear teeth. the kit corrects these issues.

Lenny

Got your PM 2Scoops about the particles in the differential. Couldn't PM you back, your mail box must be full. Anyway, the particles is something common in these diffs. They are generally aluminum. Put a magnet in the oil and probably the particles will not stick. Seems like no matter how many times I take a diff apart, having put new oil in it from the last time, the particles seem to show up from somewhere. In my case, I noticed a slight bit of scraping against the aluminum case that didn't concern me. Everyone is finding the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it as it doesn't seem to be leading to any problems. Do check it inside to see if you can see anything that might be touching the cases. The ring gear bolts coming loose could be touching the case or even the safty wire when it breaks and sticks out could be scraping the case. The upgrade kit will not stop your oil from being speckled with the particles but no problems arrise from it. The kit will help you set up your diff to correct running tollerances and it will have less slop while aligning the ring gear to the pinion gear correctly. This alignment is important and both the ring gear assembly and the pinion gear assembly should be held to within a few thousands to the correct alignment from both directions. You don't want the ring gear to be allowed to go too far out away from the ring gear center or too far in towards the center. Likewise, you don't want the ring gear to run too tight against the pinion gear now be allowed to move away from it too far. When setup, you should be able to turn the pinion gear shaft by hand without any tight spots nor surplus play between the ring gear and pinion gear. Keep changing shims until you get it close. There is no such thing as getting them perfect as the trueness of the gears are not perfect but when set up properly, everything will be just fine. The main problem with the diffs is that the bolts shear and the gears are mis-aligned which chips the gear teeth. the kit corrects these issues.

Lenny

Prior to purchasing I did check my bolts on both the front & rear diffs. They both look good. My first concern, as you mentioned, was that the bolts were backing out and hitting the housing. My rear diff has the tabs and the front has safety wire (mechanics wire). In my opinion, safety wire should be better at holding the bolts tight. If safety wired properly, it will actually hold tension on the bolts in the tightening direction. If the problem is the safety wire breaking then it was probably done incorrectly (overtightened). Another fix would be to use thicker wire.

My front diff does not have nearly the same amount of particles as the rear. It must be due to the greater stress being put on the diff.

I showed Banjo Minnow your steering tightening kit when we met up in Moab. He was impressed and noticed a significant difference between mine and his steering play. I believe it is the most cost effective and efficient solution out there. You did a great job fabricating it, and that is why I felt confident in purchasing your diff kit--good job!

Guest Lenny

Prior to purchasing I did check my bolts on both the front & rear diffs. They both look good. My first concern, as you mentioned, was that the bolts were backing out and hitting the housing. My rear diff has the tabs and the front has safety wire (mechanics wire). In my opinion, safety wire should be better at holding the bolts tight. If safety wired properly, it will actually hold tension on the bolts in the tightening direction. If the problem is the safety wire breaking then it was probably done incorrectly (overtightened). Another fix would be to use thicker wire.

My front diff does not have nearly the same amount of particles as the rear. It must be due to the greater stress being put on the diff.

I showed Banjo Minnow your steering tightening kit when we met up in Moab. He was impressed and noticed a significant difference between mine and his steering play. I believe it is the most cost effective and efficient solution out there. You did a great job fabricating it, and that is why I felt confident in purchasing your diff kit--good job!

If you have it apart, replace the bolts with the ones in the kit. They are much stronger. I agree about the wire if done right but the approach in the kit is still better. Thanks for the comments on the steering upgrade.

Lenny