Electrical Issues

DevilDog

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

08 T2 - Fan and fuel pump don't come on engine turns over but won't start, with the key in the on position I get 12V to 3 of the wires on the ign switch but only 8.8V on the 4th wire in start position any Ideas where to start? All fuses are good.

Here's a picture 2491277900104282158TFnBlI_th.jpg and diagram of your key plug, tell us what wire has what voltage. If the fan and fuel pump don't run, it won't start because there's no fuel. The fan and fuel pump relays are behind the drivers seat. Check those fuses and relay bases and look for one that has gotten hot and melted the wires, you may need to pull it off and look in the back of it.

Let us know what you find.

Kinarfi

Here's a picture 2491277900104282158TFnBlI_th.jpg and diagram of your key plug, tell us what wire has what voltage. If the fan and fuel pump don't run, it won't start because there's no fuel. The fan and fuel pump relays are behind the drivers seat. Check those fuses and relay bases and look for one that has gotten hot and melted the wires, you may need to pull it off and look in the back of it.

Let us know what you find.

Kinarfi

The purple wire has 0 until I turn swich to start it has 8.8.

See fuse block picture # 13 got hot

I don't recognize your fuse box, I would guess that it is the same as my front fuse box, there should be another that has relays in with the fuses, mine is behind the driver's seat, close to the computer. That is where suggest you look for a worse burnt fuse or relay socket or burnt of wire. Every time you get into a fuse box for what ever reason, pull every fuse, inspect, replace. This pulling and replacing makes for better connections because it knocks and corrosion off. Also, go here, http://www.utvboard.com/topic/392-parts-pieces-and-information-for-our-troopers-joyners/page__view__findpost__p__475 then to the red Joyner Manuals and download the appropriate manual if don't have one and also the wiring schematic further down the page.

Just to clarify, when you turn the key to run, no fan, no fuel pump, do the gauges cycle?, when you turn the key to start, the engine cranks but doesn't start.

If you get a chance, please fill out your profile so we can all get to know a little better, welcome to the forum, where are you located?

I don't recognize your fuse box, I would guess that it is the same as my front fuse box, there should be another that has relays in with the fuses, mine is behind the driver's seat, close to the computer. That is where suggest you look for a worse burnt fuse or relay socket or burnt of wire. Every time you get into a fuse box for what ever reason, pull every fuse, inspect, replace. This pulling and replacing makes for better connections because it knocks and corrosion off. Also, go here, http://www.utvboard.com/topic/392-parts-pieces-and-information-for-our-troopers-joyners/page__view__findpost__p__475 then to the red Joyner Manuals and download the appropriate manual if don't have one and also the wiring schematic further down the page.

Just to clarify, when you turn the key to run, no fan, no fuel pump, do the gauges cycle?, when you turn the key to start, the engine cranks but doesn't start.

If you get a chance, please fill out your profile so we can all get to know a little better, welcome to the forum, where are you located?

My fuse box is behind the drivers seat with (3) JD141B relays mounted below it, I replaced all of these. You are correct no fan no fuel other gauges do cycle, engine cranks won't start.

I'M in chandler Az

Can you tell if the relays are coming in, One of them is the Main relay that is activated by the computer during the cycle process and when the engine is running, the other 2 are fuel and fan power and activate via the main relay, but get their power from the battery, figure out which prongs are the normally open power prongs of the relay and place a jumper in the socket for the fan and the pump and see if they run.

I'm still betting that you have burned up a wire or the connector on one of your relays, take a look at the back side and look for a cooked wire or spade lug.

Myself, being into electronics, replace the fan and pump relays with P FETs and soldered them in for best connection, NO problems since.

Can you tell if the relays are coming in, One of them is the Main relay that is activated by the computer during the cycle process and when the engine is running, the other 2 are fuel and fan power and activate via the main relay, but get their power from the battery, figure out which prongs are the normally open power prongs of the relay and place a jumper in the socket for the fan and the pump and see if they run.

I'm still betting that you have burned up a wire or the connector on one of your relays, take a look at the back side and look for a cooked wire or spade lug.

Myself, being into electronics, replace the fan and pump relays with P FETs and soldered them in for best connection, NO problems since.

The purple wire has 0 until I turn swich to start it has 8.8.

See fuse block picture # 13 got hot

you say #13 got hot,was there a fuse there? have you replaced that fuse if there was one? as kinarfi said check the back side of the fuse block,could be burnt wires or connection.

Appears I have some bigger issues going on not getting any spark . Starting to think the ECU is the Issue???

possible, that would cause the problems you have, has it been running, did it just run one and not the next?

Did you down load the wiring diagram that shows the computer connections?

Yes have the wiring diagram, went riding two weekends ago ran fine, came home parked it in garage came out last Sun just to start it to keep batt charged thats when it wouldn't start.

Anyone have a ECU for sale?

If you know any one down there with a trooper, take your ECU over and try yours on their machine. Did you do anything that might have killed the ecu, like weld on trooper?

EDIT, after you figure out how the unplug the computer, turn the key to run and measure the voltage on pins 44 and 63, fed by a 2 amp fuse and pin 22 from the key

If you know any one down there with a trooper, take your ECU over and try yours on their machine. Did you do anything that might have killed the ecu, like weld on trooper?

EDIT, after you figure out how the unplug the computer, turn the key to run and measure the voltage on pins 44 and 63, fed by a 2 amp fuse and pin 22 from the key

Yes I welded a spare tire bracket on, I unhooked the Batt when I did it, you think welding fryed the ECU?

what about that empty fuse spot on your photo i had asked you about in an earlier post?

best thing is to unplug the unit also to be safe but most say disconnecting battery is all you need to do.I think lenny has one for sale.I have an extra but want to hold on to it.

what about that empty fuse spot on your photo i had asked you about in an earlier post?

best thing is to unplug the unit also to be safe but most say disconnecting battery is all you need to do.I think lenny has one for sale.I have an extra but want to hold on to it.

I put a new fuse there, have power to all the fuses, I saw (after the fact )where it said to unplug the ECU before welding.

Lenny took out the ECU on his Trooper with welding, I've been lucky I guess, I have only turned the battery master switch off, but I make sure the welder ground is as close to the weld area as I can get and I don't weld around any wires. Where was your welding ground and I assume you were welding on the cargo bed area.

Lenny took out the ECU on his Trooper with welding, I've been lucky I guess, I have only turned the battery master switch off, but I make sure the welder ground is as close to the weld area as I can get and I don't weld around any wires. Where was your welding ground and I assume you were welding on the cargo bed area.

I was welding with TIG which uses a high frequency to initiate spark. It's this high frequency that is real dangerous and can get into electronics easily. Regular MIG welding is far less dangerous.

Lenny

I was MIG welding and had ground was clamped to the metal I was welding on. Drove it two times after that for about 100 miles. Guess I will find a ECU and try it, if its not the problem I'll have a spare.

I would still pull that fuse box off and look at the back side for burnt wires or no connection.I know you said you had power to the fuses but what about from the fuses? maybe i missed something.Good luck.

I was MIG welding and had ground was clamped to the metal I was welding on. Drove it two times after that for about 100 miles. Guess I will find a ECU and try it, if its not the problem I'll have a spare.

Doesn't sound like it is the ECU. Go upp to the top of the froum threaqds and look at "Technical issues" and there is a description on how to track down fuel pump problems. On mine, the fan is triggered when the fuel pump comes on and it the fuel pump relay doesn't trigger then the fuel pump won't. Yours may be wired different then mine. MIne is not stock wiring. Also, run a gorund wire to the outside cover of your computer. Mine wouldn't run without it.

Lenny