Quantcast

Trooper 1100 RPM hang-up

dirtydog

Hello.

I'm hoping the Trooper Forum can help me with a nagging problem on my 08 T4. When the vehicle is moving, the RPM's hang up sometimes between shifting and also when I push in the clutch and roll to a stop. Shifting at RPM over 4000 it sometimes stays there (doesn't drop down between shifts). If I put in neutral and roll to a stop it hangs at about 1300 RPM. Once the vehicle comes to a complete stop the RPM drops to 900 like it should. I cleaned up all sensors in the intake throttle body and just replaced the throttle cable but problem remains. Otherwise this rig runs awesome, but my mechanic background makes this really annoying. After reading too many posts on this forum I'm pretty sure I have one of the very early 08 models. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dirtydog in Phx>

For starters, I would disconnect the Idle Air Control on the throttle body. Just unplug it. Also try putting an extra spring on to help pull the throttle all the way closed. I'm use the extra spring to solve a simular problem. Replacing the throttle cable itself isn't enough. I had to replace both the cable and sheathing. I found that water could acculumate in the sheathing at a low point and just stay there rusting the original steel cable which left wire fragments in the sheathing.

Lenny

Thanks Lenny. The new cable came complete with new sheathing so that is covered. I will unplug the IAC test. If that doesn't work I will try return spring. Can't get my head around the fact that it only happens when vehicle is moving. Just doesn't make sense. Results will be posted after testing. Have a great day!

My 08 does the same thing, I just unhooked the iac like lenny said, as far as the idle being a little high when you stop then falling back down I was never able to find the problem to correct. If you disconnect the speed sensor it will probably quit doing it, but you won't have a speedo. I left it connected and put up with it like it is, yes it is very annoing. If you find out what it is let me know.

Thanks Lenny. I will try to rewire the sensor directly to speedo. That should solve all my problems unless computer gets angry about lost signal. Oh for the good old days before computers and electronics.....not that they are a bad thing but it makes for increased difficulty for an old fart like me! Thank you all for your help and ideas. Happy motoring!!

Lenny.

Regarding your previous post, can I just clip one wire from speedo sensor harness to disconnect computer?

If so, do you know which one? I can't get enough info from Joyner elec diagrams. Always looking to make things easier if others have travelled the same road.

Thanks!

PS: think of it, the peace of mind having only one child/juvenile delinquent per household. I came from a family of nine.......

When I changed my computer over to a megasquirt, It was easiest for me to just run a wire from the speed sensor directly to the speedo. Nothing goes to the computer from the sensor. If you can run without the speed sensor plugged in, just cut the wires coming form the sensor. Then connect the wire coming from the speedo to one of the wires coming out of the plug which is still clipped to the sensor. If one wire doesn't work, try one of the others from the sensor. Look at the back of your speedo and you should be able to see the color coding of the wire going to the back. You then should be able to find that wire in the rear wiring. Shouldn't be any reason to run a new wire.

Lenny

After you find the other end of the wire, check it for continuity from one end to the other. I agree, Joyners wiring is pretty scattered. If they would have just provided a good detailed schematic.

Lenny