Quantcast

Power Steering Shut Off Info

I am just posting this as an FYI for those who may have purchased SuperATV's powersteering unit. From what I understand it has a thermal shutdown switch. If it over heats it will shut off until it cools down. Well, I had this happen to me last weekend. It happened right after I bottomed out really hard. I bottomed out so hard I figured I had broken the unit especially when it didn't come on after driving for several miles.

So, I parked it and looked for a severed wire or a disconnected wire--nothing. I ate lunch and it was back working again. I figured it would shut off after hitting alot of bumps in a short amount of time, but mine shut off from a single hard impact.

Let me tell you, after driving with powersteering and going back to manual...I can't even believe I drove this thing with out runnning into a tree before. It was back to holding on to the steering wheel with two hands and quickly shifting, so I could put my hands back on the steering wheel. If you ride in rocky terrain it will be the single best upgrade you make. I would rate it even before suspension.

I am just posting this as an FYI for those who may have purchased SuperATV's powersteering unit. From what I understand it has a thermal shutdown switch. If it over heats it will shut off until it cools down. Well, I had this happen to me last weekend. It happened right after I bottomed out really hard. I bottomed out so hard I figured I had broken the unit especially when it didn't come on after driving for several miles.

So, I parked it and looked for a severed wire or a disconnected wire--nothing. I ate lunch and it was back working again. I figured it would shut off after hitting alot of bumps in a short amount of time, but mine shut off from a single hard impact.

Let me tell you, after driving with powersteering and going back to manual...I can't even believe I drove this thing with out runnning into a tree before. It was back to holding on to the steering wheel with two hands and quickly shifting, so I could put my hands back on the steering wheel. If you ride in rocky terrain it will be the single best upgrade you make. I would rate it even before suspension.

I also agree that this was a great investment. Bad part about it though is not getting the upper body workout.(LOL)

So if I shut it off & restarted it right away it probably would have worked again.

Good to know.

Jeff, so has yours quit on you much? It wa my first experience & it was the hardest I have ever bottomed out.

Not really, but I've always been real busy when it did and probably didn't notice as I was probably trying to avoid hitting something :) If I remember correctly, you mounted yours up close to the dash, I mounted mine mid span on the connecting rod which may have put it in a place where it gets more cooling, so by the time I turn it off and back on, it's already cooled enough that turning it off and back on doesn't really matter, not sure. It was your post that got me thinking and tied the subjects together for me. I'll have to pay closer attention in the future.

Kinarfi

Just got an email that my shocks have shipped YaY

• 4 months later...

There is more expensive, but not necessarily better. All the electric ps systems are based on the same design principals. I haven't

driven the hydraulic unit some vendors used to sell. I would imagine is would steer more effortlessly, but give you less feel in the

steering wheel. Thermal shutdown is common in electrical units.

I have never had mine shut down. There two things I have different, One is that I use a 3:1 ratio rack and pinion steering box, stock is about 2:1 so mine turns easier to begin with. Second, when installing the power steering controller, I mounted a computer type fan under it that starts running when I turn the key on.

Lenny