Quantcast

Moab Trip Report

Memorial weekend in Moab went great. Trooper did well and climbed all the obsticals in my path while the RZR's watched. I even did a climb my wife didn't make in the Wildcat. I could blame it on driver error, but my story is the Trooper kicked its but.

I did have one crazy thing happen with the Trooper. I wanted to have a drag race with the rigs on the trail one day. That particular day all that was with me was a Honda 4wheeler 450 and my wifes Wildcat. Well, the Trooper jumped everyone off the line and beat hands down the 4 wheeler, but as expected the Wildcat quickly jumped 2, then 3 car lengths ahead of me and never looked back. Now in my defense, I am running 30" 45lb tires and had 3 kids in the back seat. I think with the stock 27" tires and no rear seat I would have held my own or even better.

For the weird thing. Right after the race I turned on the last turn and felt and heard a clunking in the rear end. I stopped the trooper and notice the rear wheel was leaning way inboard. I found that the cotter pin sheared, fell out, and the nut began backing off. I don't know if this happened in the race or if it happened in earlier rides. What do you think? I put everything back together and continued riding with no issues. I didn't feel or hear any wheel bearing noises, nor is there alot of play in the bearings.

Pic of our group:

post-867-0-96024900-1370198930_thumb.jpg

Guest Lenny

I had the same thing happen so I replaces the nut and pin to a modified approach that will never come loose. The problem started when the corners of the hex on the nut started to round off so the socket would slip off when I tried to tighten it real hard. These nuts want to be tightened quite tight. Because of it being rounded, it didn't get as tight as I like and it worked loose shearing the cotter key. Same thing, the wheel fell off and was running at a severe angle, tipped in at the top. Glad it didn't do more damage but everything was fine. I to bolted it back up out the trail and drove back ok. Once back in the shop, I solved the problem for once and for all. I machined a 1" hex nut and the stock nut so I could join and weld them together. This gave me a much better hex to get a hold of for tightening. Then I replaced the cotter key with a piece of spring steel, welding a head on one end and cutting groves for triple circlips to guarantee no coming out on the other end. No problems since and doubt I ever will have this problem again.

post-194-0-45044700-1370221497_thumb.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By goindeep
      Well now i could use a lil help... i have a trooper in my shop now that has wiring issues... this poor guy paid another shop $1000 to re wire the body control harness, and boy oh boy did they chop it up!!! I am Buillding a new harness from scratch... what i need is a diagram that tells me what each fuse and relay control on the Engine fuse/relay block.. any help is greatly appreciated!!
      Josh
      No Limitz
    • By NCPonyboy
      Hello, new Hisun Axis 500 owner here. I have a 2020 in the Mountains of North Carolina. It runs fine and I enjoy it but it seems to struggle on the hills. Granted I have one that is pretty steep but you could get out and walk faster than it goes up. I sometimes wonder that if I had anything in the bed it might not make it. So first question is, is this normal for these? Second question is, is there anything I can do about it? Maybe a power adder or chip tuning? 

Appreciate your thoughts

• By lowgear52
      Does anyone out there have a rear differential for a trooper for sale?
    • By mcraigchr
      I realize that many of you do not have diesel machines.  For those that do, this is for you:
      Just wanted to post my experience this past week.  Here in Texas, we had pretty good dip in temps.  For 4 days it did not get above 25.  At night, it was single digits or close to it.  I always put Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in the storage tank (30 gallon).  And up until this tank I was using Power Service (white bottle) for anti-gel.  Never had an issue.
      This tank, however, I switched to Stabil All season (anti gel).  It is supposed to good down to -40.  Zap.  That is a big fat lie.  I put in twice the amount called for in the instructions.  Result was less than optimal.  I drove the SxS 100 feet (to go get the mail) and it died.  I looked at the fuel bowl and it was a cloudy, wax substance.  So, the Stabil did not work.  That said, I'm not sure that I ever tested the Power Service in the same manner.  So I am not saying that one is better than the other.
      What are your experiences?  Are these products inferior?  What do you folks in the northern states / Canada use?  Am I missing something?
      CC
    • By moto mutts
      Exploring the Grand Canyon's Majesty at the North Rim UTV Fun Run

Embarking on a journey to the Grand Canyon promises breathtaking vistas, but what we encountered during the North Rim UTV Fun Run organized by UTV Offroad Adventures was nothing short of awe-inspiring. The natural splendor we witnessed transcended our wildest expectations, leaving us in perpetual wonder. 

The weather was amazing! Upon our arrival at the Kaibab Lodge, we were immediately captivated by the serene setting. Nestled within a picturesque pasture with the national forest as its backdrop, this lodge was a true oasis. From the deck, where we savored cool beverages, we gazed upon the lush green grass and towering trees that stretched into the horizon. The experience was nothing short of breathtaking, offering a refreshing escape from the sweltering heat, and a chance to inhale the pure mountain air. And let's not forget the culinary delights that awaited us—mouthwatering food that was the perfect complement to the surroundings. As the evening wore on, the lodge became a hub of camaraderie, where stories flowed as freely as laughter. The Saturday night raffle event was a highlight, filled with lively exchanges and tales of the day's exhilarating rides.

Speaking of the rides, both were nothing short of spectacular, showcasing the North Rim of the Grand Canyon's awe-inspiring beauty from every angle. It's a humbling experience to ponder the creation of this national monument, and it truly transports you back in time.

We were joined by over 70 UTVs and 125 adventurers, all seeking the thrill of exploration amidst nature's grandeur.

Bright Angel Point: A Scenic Marvel
      One of the rides led us to Bright Angel Point, renowned as one of the most picturesque spots on the North Rim. Sitting at an elevation over 1,000 feet higher than the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, this vantage point offered a mesmerizing panorama. To the east, the stunning Bright Angel Canyon unfolded, while to the west, Transept Canyon stretched majestically. Below, within the canyon, we could hear the roaring of Roaring Springs, a pristine source of water gushing from a cliff face 3,100 feet below the rim. The trails were a testament to nature's artistry, and each stop along the way was a spectacle in itself. This loop was around 80 plus miles and shared multiple astonishing overlooks.

Point Sublime Trail: A Serene Oasis
      Our second ride took us to the Point Sublime Trail, a hidden gem known for its majestic views. This trail, less traveled by many, allowed us to enjoy the tranquility of the wilderness, punctuated only by the awe-inspiring vistas. It was a place of pure serenity, where the silence enveloped us, offering a chance to embrace the peace and quiet while savoring the views. Along the way, a chance encounter with a coiled snake added a touch of excitement to the experience, reminding us of the untamed beauty of the natural world. This loop was also around 80 plus miles with some of the best overlooks the Grand Canyon has to offer. 

Acknowledging Our Sponsors
      The success of the North Rim UTV Fun Run owes much to our dedicated sponsors, whose unwavering support ensures the continuation of these remarkable adventures. We extend our sincere thanks to Nash Powersports, Realty Providers, Rugged Radios, Shock Therapy, DRT Motorsports, Dirt Warriors Accessories, Kemi Moto, MRT Tires, McDermit Designs, Campfire Sports, Bob Moses Ceramic Coating, Gorilla Whips, Gorilla Offroad, Aftermarket Assassins, Rowley White RV, Memphis Audio, Factory UTV, Arizona Color Wraps, AJE Powersports, Macs Tie Downs, and a special acknowledgment to Shred 3D for their invaluable contribution as an event sponsor.

A Date for Your Calendar
      For all adventure enthusiasts, make sure to mark your calendars and bookmark UTVOFFROADADVENTURES.com. Be prepared to sign up for your next off-road escapade, as these events unfold each month, promising thrilling experiences that will keep you coming back for more. If you seek further information about upcoming events, don't hesitate to reach out to [email protected]. We look forward to seeing you on our next adventure.

The North Rim UTV Fun Run isn't just an event; it's an opportunity to immerse yourself in the awe-inspiring beauty of the Grand Canyon, share unforgettable moments with fellow adventurers, and create cherished memories that will last a lifetime. Don't miss out on this remarkable experience! This event is set for July 5-7, 2024.