Quantcast
Jump to content

Moab Trip Report


2scoops
 Share

Recommended Posts

Memorial weekend in Moab went great. Trooper did well and climbed all the obsticals in my path while the RZR's watched. I even did a climb my wife didn't make in the Wildcat. I could blame it on driver error, but my story is the Trooper kicked its but.

I did have one crazy thing happen with the Trooper. I wanted to have a drag race with the rigs on the trail one day. That particular day all that was with me was a Honda 4wheeler 450 and my wifes Wildcat. Well, the Trooper jumped everyone off the line and beat hands down the 4 wheeler, but as expected the Wildcat quickly jumped 2, then 3 car lengths ahead of me and never looked back. Now in my defense, I am running 30" 45lb tires and had 3 kids in the back seat. I think with the stock 27" tires and no rear seat I would have held my own or even better.

For the weird thing. Right after the race I turned on the last turn and felt and heard a clunking in the rear end. I stopped the trooper and notice the rear wheel was leaning way inboard. I found that the cotter pin sheared, fell out, and the nut began backing off. I don't know if this happened in the race or if it happened in earlier rides. What do you think? I put everything back together and continued riding with no issues. I didn't feel or hear any wheel bearing noises, nor is there alot of play in the bearings.

Pic of our group:

post-867-0-96024900-1370198930_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same thing happen so I replaces the nut and pin to a modified approach that will never come loose. The problem started when the corners of the hex on the nut started to round off so the socket would slip off when I tried to tighten it real hard. These nuts want to be tightened quite tight. Because of it being rounded, it didn't get as tight as I like and it worked loose shearing the cotter key. Same thing, the wheel fell off and was running at a severe angle, tipped in at the top. Glad it didn't do more damage but everything was fine. I to bolted it back up out the trail and drove back ok. Once back in the shop, I solved the problem for once and for all. I machined a 1" hex nut and the stock nut so I could join and weld them together. This gave me a much better hex to get a hold of for tightening. Then I replaced the cotter key with a piece of spring steel, welding a head on one end and cutting groves for triple circlips to guarantee no coming out on the other end. No problems since and doubt I ever will have this problem again.

post-194-0-45044700-1370221497_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...