Quantcast

Renli - 4wd not working

nando87

As of recent my 4wd stopped working, when turned on it comes on when it wants to or doesn’t come on at all.

When trying to climb something in 4wd you can hear a loud click/clung every little bit, I assume it’s the 4wd trying to engage. Sometimes it comes on/off/on/off all during one hill climb.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

assuming Renli has the same front end as a trooper,here's a few possibilities

1 could be a bad switch or connection not supplying power. do you hear the motor in the box run for a second or 2 every time you switch it?

2 the black box that's bolted to your front diff has water in it, remove it, stick a nail or something in the hole and activate, see if it moves in and out, open it up and inspect. report finding, how much water have you been in?

3 the teeth of the gear that slides over the other gears to lock in the front may be worn and have a burr on then on them, you may have to open up the diff. do 1 & 2 and let us know what you find, photos help.

May I suggest you fill out the profile so we can get to know you better, maybe there's some one just a block or two away that would want to help you.

assuming Renli has the same front end as a trooper,here's a few possibilities

1 could be a bad switch or connection not supplying power. do you hear the motor in the box run for a second or 2 every time you switch it?

2 the black box that's bolted to your front diff has water in it, remove it, stick a nail or something in the hole and activate, see if it moves in and out, open it up and inspect. report finding, how much water have you been in?

3 the teeth of the gear that slides over the other gears to lock in the front may be worn and have a burr on then on them, you may have to open up the diff. do 1 & 2 and let us know what you find, photos help.

1. When you say hear the motor in the box run what do you mean, the black box bolted in front? After being in 4wd for about a minute the black box starts beeping really loud. When I shut it off it goes away and if I put back in 4wd it comes back after a minute.

2. I just put a new black box on my Renli last week hoping that was the problem, didn't seam to help.

3. This will have to be my last resort, I don't want to open the diff.

The Renli's have 2 electronic parts to the 4wd system, one is a little black box that sends the signal to the electric motor on the diff. When there is a malfunction with the 4wd the box "beeps" to let you know there is something wrong.

I replaced the box that send the signal, that didn't solve my issue. It is most likely the electric motor on the diff, when I put it in 4wd the motor doesn't do anything or make any sounds so I'm assuming it's dead or only works sometimes.