Quantcast

1997 Kawasaki Mule 2500 Dead No Start

xcycle

This is 97 Mule 2500 I picked up dead as a doornail sitting for 3yrs. I cleaned the tank with Evaporust,replaced lines,fuel filter and pump, and rebuilt carb. It turns over and idle fine but wont move. Had a bad sound come from belt cover, removed cover and this is what I saw.

Please look at these pics and tell me how big of a problem I have............ Any thought, suggestions etc.... gladly accepted reply or email [email protected]

post-2099-0-18123700-1392166442_thumb.jpgpost-2099-0-86323100-1392166442_thumb.jpgpost-2099-0-50480800-1392166443_thumb.jpg

here is a youtube link , took the converter cover off here is a video :

XCYCLE,I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMEND HAVING BOTH DRIVE AND DRIVEN CONVERTORS OVERHAUED. PERSONALY, I DONT THINK YOU CAN SAVE THE DRIVE CONVERTOR BY WATCHING THE VIDEO. THE DRIVEN CONVERTOR IS OPEN WAY TOO MUCH FOR IDLE POSITION, THATS WHY BELT SEEMS WAY TO LONG. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Thanks for reply . A few questions if you don't mind......

1) Am I correct by saying the driven clutch can be removed without special tools, just with a socket ?

2)The drive pulley requires a clutch puller to remove and that special tool, that looks like a long bolt , to remove it from engine shaft

3) Are the bolts on the drive and driven pulley loosened the normal way counter clockwise?Askin cause I watched a video of a Kaw. converter system being removed and it showed the drive pulley with reverse or left handed threads( loosened clockwise). The video was showing a brute force i think')

4) What could cause driven pulley to be open way to much at idle?

I am going to purchase a complete new drive pulley and see what the driven looks like when I take it off.

Another thing not shown in video is that when in gear if you try to give it gas the drive pulley actually moves out some.

Thanks again

SORRY, I MISSED THE REST. ON THE DRIVEN PULLEY, STAYING OPEN AT IDLE. YOU HAVE 2 BUSHINGS A SPRING AND SHOES THAT ARE MOST LIKELY WORN OUT. ALSO WHEN TORN DOWN, YOU NEED TO INSPECT THE SHIEVES TO SEE IF SMOOTH, WITH OUT WAVES IN THEM. ALSO INSPECT THE SHAFT THAT THE MOVABLE SHIEVE RIDES IN AND OUT ON FOR SMOOTHNESS. I AM NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE DRIVE PULLEY MOVING " OUT " IT SHOULD BE MOVING IN? WHAT I DID SEE LOOKED SHOT THOUGH. GOOD LUCK.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.