Quantcast

Fuel pump alternative.

Was riding last weekend in south east Sask. on our holidays and had a pump failure. I located a fuel pump from a mid 80's to early 90's ford pickups had an externally mounted fuel pump on the frame. Bolts in the factory bracket. 75-95 psi. Works great with mine as I have a turbo set-up. Cheap too. 150 Can. dollars. E2000 Napa part. It also crosses to a carter no. too. If it can supply fuel to a small V-8, it shouldn't have a problem with mine. Was due for an upgrade anyway. Maybe a boost increase will be next.. Thought I would pass that on.

Guest Lenny

An intercooler will give you more power. Its just like increasing the boost. Cooling the air down lets it take up less space thus its denser. So, for the same volume of air, your getting more oxygen and more potential power. This however can make it run leaner. That's the problem I had. To solve the problem, I went to larger injectors. You can also increase the fuel pressure which does the same thing. In my case that didn't do it. Scott in Arizonia that does the turbos is probably the best at turbos. The one thing he does that I'm not comfortable with is he used 2 fuel pumps in series. This brings the fuel pressure up to something like 140psi. If you get a fuel leak, its not like a fire starting in the fore place but an explosive burn that can cover the entire vehicle instantly. I had a couple of fuel leaks and just had a small fire. Since then the thought of real high pressure fuel scares me. In my situation, it would have destroyed my Trooper. Also injectors don't calibrate properly after about 75psi. Just some thoughts for you guys with turbos. You can tune it out but only to a certain extent. If your getting too much air for the max available fuel the controller can provide, you need more fuel pressure or bigger injectors.

Good luck guys. I enjoy checking in once in a while.

Guest Lenny

Gosh, I think the stock injector is about 14-15 pound, I was running 26 pound injectors. I was able to get a lot of boost, up to about 11-12 pound. This was only possible with an after cooler and lowered compression. I was getting 130hp at the wheels and nearly 125pds feet of torque also at the wheels. I was hitting about 3/4 of that torque by about 1800rpms. The engine and driveline seem to be strong provided the diff is upgraded. Also I'm convinced that the best power by far is gotten by allowing a good dyno shop to do the tuning. My first dyno shop only found 76HP and $400 later said that was about the max from the engine. Ended up using Shaun Church from Church Automotive, he found the 130 for $350. There is a lot of HP to be found if you want to do the work.

PS. And spend the money.

• 1 month later...

with our turbo system... garret turbo,our intake flip/mod,no intercooler,short charge tube,quiet exaust (or loud) large dual stage air filter and fuel controller,we ve been having excellant results in the 6 to 8 psi boost range on premium pump gas ...(have also run 10-12 psi with better fuel) ...tuning with our wideband air fuel,we have been able to keep a rich condition while under full throttle,and full boost

• 2 weeks later...

Track guy 22,

I am running one of Unleashed turbo's setups. Its the dual fuel pump setup that Lenny was talking about. Both Joyner pumps. Had one short out this weekend, un hooked it, ran on one pump the rest of the weekend staying under 5psi boost. Now the other is making noise and starting to cut out. I am thinking about throwing the NAPA one on tomorrow that you have. Is it still working well for you?

I am in the south, lot of mud and water riding, would much rather be able to run to a NAPA than have a weekend ruined over something like this.

Thanks in advance

• Mine still works perfect. Just think, this pump replaces factory ones that are made to supply fuel for a 200+ hp engine. Personally I think the factory Joyner pumps are junk. Just my opinion though. This pump should last a 100,000 plus miles. The one I have runs just under 80 psi. In a turbo system your pump has to supply running fuel pressure and extra pressure to compensate for boost pressure. I'm running about 8 psi boost. No intercooler and no issues. Hope this helps.