Quantcast

charlie

A ARMS HELP

hey guys doing maintenance the trooper need ball-joints but thats besides the point my left front upper and my right front lower suspensions arms were the ball joints sit have a lot of play any one run into this or have a fix for it

not that many I think Im at 1400 miles give or take. I talked to Casey JMC he has them but I guess this is a common issue went to an offroad shop and they suggested tack welding the balljoints in but I wanted to see if this is happenening to anyone else

Is the slop in the ball joint or where the ball joint slips into it's pocket in the A Arm? If it's the ball joint, grind off the tack welds, take the top off, drill a hole for a zerk, take a file or Dremel and cut a few lines from top to bottom for grease channels and then screw the top back on and weld it, more than a tack, when you grease them, the pressure of the grease gun forces the ball down and it seals harder against to bottom and you can't put grease in, that's what the lines are for so make sure they go out to bottom. When you screw the top on, make it snug but not binding.

post-90-0-61857300-1431474523_thumb.pngTie Rod Dust Boot, Checker Auto#13566 as shown in Parts and Pieces thread.

Yes the play is were the balljoints sits in the a arm and the balljoints I have now a greasable idk wear I got them or if I just drilled holes and put zerk fitting in. I talked to a welding shop about havn them tack welded in

so the balljoint caps screw on I was gonna order 4 new ones from JMC I cant remeber if I drilled the last ones for grease fitting if I got them that way but you can see little weld marks on the top of them and one of them Im pretty sure I bought them that way??

Charlie..I have put some in with "green" bearing retainer loctite..also sometimes can get a "shim" under the snap ring to tighten them up..have also tack welded in place,just make sure the welds go where you can get at them to grind off next ball joint change...oh yea..and put weight on while loctite sets,or while welding...just my 3cents...Hardy

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.