Quantcast

Space_Tex

First Time UTV Buyer

Hello everyone. I’m looking into getting a UTV to mainly use at the hunting lease. Need to be able to haul around gear and decoys and at least one dog kennel. Would also like to use occasionally around the neighborhood (Golf carts and UTVs are allowed in my area). I know I want a 4x4 and don’t necessarily need something that’s gonna go 40-50 mph.  I’m an engineer and enjoy maintaining all me vehicles/ toys so I can give something a once over and notice any glaring defect but I have a few UTV questions  

Is there anything I should watch out for? Any specific questions I need to ask the seller? How many hour/ miles is too many? I want something used but not used up. Anyone feel their UTV has been underpowered- should I get at least a YYY cc engine?

Theres a 2014 Kawasaki Mule 4x4 XC with a nice 5x10 trailer for sale that I’ve been eyeing, anyone have good/bad comments about this particular vehicle?

Thanks!!

Hands down Kawasaki mule 610, good for hauling small trailers.

New are around 7000.  I personally havnt heard any bad comments

Check out ATV.com  UTV review website.

Welcome to utvboard!

• Like 1

I personally would get a Honda Pioneer 500. slightly smaller in size, liquid cooled, 2 up, and room for the dog cage. The Mule is a very good choice as well. I just prefer Liquid cooled and 50". As well as being able to customize the rear to your tastes and/or switch it up when you want something else out back.

• Like 1

I really like the Pioneer. I went and looked at a 2014 mule 610 XC. It needs new brakes, battery and some other minor cosmetic fixes. It also pulled to the right which could be an easy fix but possibly frame damage so that worries me a little. Overall looked like a solid vehicle for $5700 with a 5x10 trailer. 

Im going to look at a 2015 Honda Pioneer 500 sometime next week. I would prefer a bench seat to squeeze three people in on occasion but it’s not a deal breaker. The cargo box on the back of the pioneer looks a lot smaller than the one on the mule.  It’s more of a basket than a true bed. Is there an aftermarket bed I can buy to put on the Pioneer? This Pioneer has low hours and comes with a few accessories. Seems like a good deal if everything’s in order for around $5k. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Travis
      2019 KAWASAKI MULE PRO-MX
      MIDSIZE MULE™ MODEL JOINS KAWASAKI MULE™PRO SIDE X SIDE LINE UP
      Following multiple accolades for its MULE™ PRO series, Kawasaki continues to grow the MULE PRO family with the addition of the all-new MULE PRO-MX™ side x side to the 2019 lineup. The MULE PRO-MX features increased recreational abilities and rugged,no-nonsense styling that further establishes the mid-size, compact side x side as the customer’s dependable choice for work or play.
      http://www.utvguide.net/2019-kawasaki-mule-pro-mx/
    • By Travis
      I was reading a VS. article on ATV.COM, and they were doing a head to head  with the Pro FX EPS, and the Textron Prowler. And they said Kawasaki is using a  812 CC Chery motor for the Mule!
       Kind of surprised me, i thought Kawasaki used their own engines for the mules.
      🤔
    • By Travis
      Once i get the cylinder honed, the only remaining problem is the crankshaft shim..  And i have a few questions.
      1. In the manual it gives a solution to the problem i'm having of the crank NOT spinning when the cover on (by hand).
      2.  And i just can't wrap what's left of my brain around the instructions, i guess use a caliper to measure? (instructions  circled in red)
       (my brother has been helping me, he's fairly knowledgeable with this stuff, but more Diesel engines than anything) and he says to use a dial indicator set up, and to use this* as a spec for end play. and that would help us get the measurements needed in picture #2.
      1st pic is the runout. But is it the same as crankshaft end play? 🤔

2nd pic is of the instructions (solution) to get the correct shim.
       I don't know, maybe this makes sense the way i wrote it.
       Thanks, Travis.
    • By Bruce Benwa
      I have a 1990 Kawasaki Mule 2010 (KAF540C) with 535 cm3 air cooled single cylinder engine. Need help locating the oil fill location, dipstick location and drain plug location for an oil change. Was told that the engine oil and rear differential share the same fluids. Is this correct? Found the rear end fill plug, sight glass, and drain plug, but the level in the sight glass is several inches below the engine crankcase. How can there be any oil in the engine if the oil level is lower than the engine? Please help! Bruce
    • By Travis
      My valve guides are un even..... they are the same size, just one sticks out farther.