Quantcast

First Time UTV Buyer

Space_Tex

Hello everyone. I’m looking into getting a UTV to mainly use at the hunting lease. Need to be able to haul around gear and decoys and at least one dog kennel. Would also like to use occasionally around the neighborhood (Golf carts and UTVs are allowed in my area). I know I want a 4x4 and don’t necessarily need something that’s gonna go 40-50 mph.  I’m an engineer and enjoy maintaining all me vehicles/ toys so I can give something a once over and notice any glaring defect but I have a few UTV questions  

Is there anything I should watch out for? Any specific questions I need to ask the seller? How many hour/ miles is too many? I want something used but not used up. Anyone feel their UTV has been underpowered- should I get at least a YYY cc engine?

Theres a 2014 Kawasaki Mule 4x4 XC with a nice 5x10 trailer for sale that I’ve been eyeing, anyone have good/bad comments about this particular vehicle?

Thanks!!

I personally would get a Honda Pioneer 500. slightly smaller in size, liquid cooled, 2 up, and room for the dog cage. The Mule is a very good choice as well. I just prefer Liquid cooled and 50". As well as being able to customize the rear to your tastes and/or switch it up when you want something else out back.

• Like 1

I really like the Pioneer. I went and looked at a 2014 mule 610 XC. It needs new brakes, battery and some other minor cosmetic fixes. It also pulled to the right which could be an easy fix but possibly frame damage so that worries me a little. Overall looked like a solid vehicle for $5700 with a 5x10 trailer. 

Im going to look at a 2015 Honda Pioneer 500 sometime next week. I would prefer a bench seat to squeeze three people in on occasion but it’s not a deal breaker. The cargo box on the back of the pioneer looks a lot smaller than the one on the mule.  It’s more of a basket than a true bed. Is there an aftermarket bed I can buy to put on the Pioneer? This Pioneer has low hours and comes with a few accessories. Seems like a good deal if everything’s in order for around $5k. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Alex
      Earlier this week — and after much anticipation — Lexus unveiled the new 2022 LX 600 SUV. It's a luxurious American version of the new Land Cruiser and shares a V6 powertrain with the new Toyota Tundra pickup. The LX wasn't a shock; it's just about the most characteristically "Lexus" vehicle one could imagine, except perhaps the LS sedan. But Lexus also released a different vehicle you would not have expected this week.
      At the end of the LX announcement video, Lexus teased a new mobility concept called the "Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle," or ROV. It's an all-terrain vehicle — or, as we will choose to interpret it, a supremely badass golf cart — that runs on a hydrogen combustion engine. Sadly, Lexus did not include an utterly superfluous spindle grille, although the shape of the front end will certainly remind you of that shape.

An ATV makes perfect sense as a showcase for hydrogen combustion. One of the technology's most significant drawbacks for current production use is that it can't produce as much power as gasoline combustion engines with the same size engine footprint. So a low-speed wood path cruiser could get away with far less power than a recreational on-highway vehicle.
      Read more from source: https://www.gearpatrol.com/cars/a37974052/lexus-off-road-atv-concept/
    • By johnpeter
      2019 Arctic Cat UTV/Utility WILDCAT XX On Ebay
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/255174885571?

• By Green Scout
      Hello everyone.
      Here I am showing our Green Scout electric all-terrain vehicle.
      All-terrain vehicle 6 wheeled, electric, side-turning. Rides, jumps, dances, swims, but does not fly. The drive is permanent (but you can turn off any wheel arbitrarily through the controller). The power of each wheel is 3 kW at its peak, the total power is 18 kW. Speed up to 60 km / h. Since the all-terrain vehicle is electric, it starts from a place quickly, drives silently (well, of course, the sound from tires and shock absorbers does not disappear).
      The idea of creating such an all-terrain vehicle came after the experience of operating the Argo all-terrain vehicle. The main disadvantages of the wheeled side-turning all-terrain vehicle are low ground clearance, lack of suspension. To get high ground clearance and suspension, there are two outputs on mini all-terrain vehicles - either electric drive or hydraulic. The hydraulics had to be excluded, since at temperatures below -30C it does not work, plus it always flows. As a result, we settled on an electric transmission. Each wheel is a motor-wheel. Naturally, the motor-wheels were being finalized to be able to be installed on an all-terrain vehicle and to be able to swim. The battery is iron-phosphate, all information on the battery, the charge is displayed on the smartphone. Control of the all-terrain vehicle through the on-board computer. Bicycle handlebar controls. Braking either with the sides through a turn of the steering wheel, or with the gas pedal of all wheels at once.
      Overview video of the all-terrain vehicle

• By MJG
      Hello, 
      I found an 08 Renegade for sale and looking to purchase it.  I haven’t heard too much about these machines and any insight would be much appreciated.  Are they good machines?
    • eManualOnline
    • By Mackc
      What type and brands of insulation do you use in the cabin, floor and engine compartment of your Massimo and related 4 by 4 UtVs specially Massimo Buck 400s?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Michael Black
      Has anyone in this group installed power steering in a 2019 Kawasaki KAF400PKS. If so, please advise on what type of power steering and how it went. Thanks in advance. 
    • By Carlos S.
      Can anyone suggest a link to buy a snow blade/plow for a 2021 Mule 4X4 SX XC FI? Cannot find one to fit this year.
    • By Brent Phillips
      Moving to upstate NY (just south of Albany).
      We will have a 1/4 mile gravel drive.  I have a 1/2 ton truck that I could use but rather not .  Could the Mule SX do this job with the plow accessory?  The dealer is on the fence, as am I.  Is the Mule SX 4x4 got enough power to deal with a 6-8" inch wet snow? 
      Any experience with the SX and plowing snow?
    • By John Niezek
      I have a 2010 Kawasaki mule 600 I've ohmed the wires to the voltage regulator and stator and to the ignition switch all read good. Now when I plug up my voltage regulator it gets extremely hot and so does the wires. I've used my volt meter and checked the plug and I'm getting ac out instead of DC out to the battery. I've got 22 volts ac going to the voltage regulator and it's putting out 3 volts ac instead of DC anyone know why or what I need to check 
    • By cliffyk
      View File 2005-2012 Kawasaki Mule 610/600 Service Manual
      Found this floating about the web today--it's a nice manual...
      2005-2012 Kawasaki Mule 610/600 Service Manual
      Submitter cliffyk Submitted 04/12/2021 Category Kawasaki