Quantcast

Looking for trailer for UTV

abernot

No simple answer; too many variables.  The trailer you need depends heavily on the terrain you are going over, what you're going to haul (UTV and/or other cargo), trailer size, single or double axle.  I have a single axle trailer that I haul my 1800 lb SxS.  I'm about 800 lbs below gross.  I doubt a Harbor Freight trailer would fit the bill unless you're only going to haul camping gear or other light weight cargo.

@Dan B I really appreciate your reply.  Do you have a general opinion on the Joyner Sand Viper 1100cc, if youre familiar with it?

I understand it may not be the highest quality rig on the market, but I am a very novice off-roader and looking for something to start with that I can have some fun with.  I will be running it in the outskirts of vegas and plan to encounter a bit of rough terrain, but nothing crazy in regards to size of rocks or crazy inclines.  Any opinion on how it may handle in different types of conditions?

My opinion and only my opinion:  The Joyner Trooper, Joyner Renegade and the Joyner Sand Viper all come with 1100cc fuel injected engines.  The Renegade originally had an 800cc engine until 2014.   I have the Renegade with the 1100cc engine.  All three are similar in many ways except for outward appearances and suspension (dual A-arm vs trailing beam).  The engines are manufactured by Chery (a Chinese company).  Those engines are popular in South America, Africa and of course Asia.  If the UTV has a 3-cyl 800cc or 4-cyl 1100cc gasoline engine, then it is most likely the Chery engine.  John Deere uses the 800cc engine with a CVT transmission in their Gator line.  All three have a 5-speed transmission and clutch, not a CVT/belt drive system.  I'm not a fan of CVT transmissions.  With the manual transmission, you have to take a more active role in managing power to the drive axle(s).  The Sand Viper is only a two-wheel drive (the Trooper and Renegade has selectable 2/4WD with open or locking differentials.  I bought my used Renegade from a local Craigslist seller because I like the looks of it over the other two and it was for sale in my price range.  I'm happy with it so far.  As with any UTV, you have to know the limitations of the UTV and don't exceed them or your limitations either.  The early versions of the Joyner line had issues with quality control but they've come a long way over the years.  Support may not be as prevalent as the more expensive name brand UTVs and ATVs so be prepard to do some maintenance on your own.  The Sand Viper is a light machine coming in at about 1300 lbs.  My Renegade is just under 1800lbs.  All three are about 60 in wide so don't consider putting it in the back of a pickup.  You will need a trailer (5-1/2ft x10 ft bed size as a minimum).  I would recommend you view some YouTube videos on the various UTVs you are considering and get other opinions.  Good luck on your search and I hope you find the ride of your life - it will be fun.

@Dan B You're the man, Dan!  I really appreciate your insights on all of this, it is going to help big time in my UTV search.  

If you dont mind me asking, I am going to be looking at a used 2016 Sand Viper 1100cc...are there any 'common issues' with UTVs that I should keep an eye out for that may be a red flag on the condition of the UTV?

Any other comments you can think of in regards to maintaining the 1100cc models?

I can['t speak to any particular machine.  I found on my machine that the  engine oil drain plug is blocked by the skid plate.  I'll have to cut an access hole to change the oil.  That's something that no one would think to look at when evaluating any ATV, UTV or even a car.  I would recommend that you go online (YouTube) or search for "problems with Sand Viper 1100" for others who have experience with these rides.  I have, however, read that the differentials on the Joyner machines can be problematic.  I haven't experienced any problems with my ride, yet.