Quantcast

Questions about recently purchased Massimo MU500

Stratogeezer

Hi, I just purchased a Massimo MU500 that we are going to use in the North Georgia mountains.

After the first couple of test drives it seems a) somewhat underpowered and B) loud as hell.

So wondering if I switched out the mud tires with something with smaller tread if that would maybe help?

Also I found a muffler replacement called the “silent rider atv silencer” and wonder if that would help with the noise without killing power.

Thanks!a0afd57f7898086cebe6dd5e0e542069.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, welcome to the club.  I have a unit very similar to yours and you are correct on both points.  These units ARE noisy and seem to be a little under powered however, the 500 has ample torque in low gear to master most situations.  I've heard others say they had to winch themselves up steep inclines that were long.  Definition of long???? I have never had to do this but then I don't travel 20 miles up into the mountains.  I can't speak to the muffler thing as I have never tried anything of this sort but it does stand to reason that it would cut some of the much needed power from the small 500 cc engine.  As for the tire replacement, smaller diameter tires equal lower overall gear ratio therefore increasing the effective power of the engine.  There will be a slight deficit in top end but a gain in low end although slight.  There is a performance chip available for this engine that costs about $250 that fools the processor into believing the air entering  the engine is actually colder than it is, therefore increasing the fuel flow slightly and so the power of the engine.  Does it work?  I don't know.  I haven't been able to find anyone who has used one of them.  All of that being said, rather than go through the expense and effort of changing wheels and tires, adding the silencer, and  trying to soup up the engine to get more power, trade it for a bigger unit.  I'm faced with the same dilemma.  Good luck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does your vehicle have a low range?  Before buying my Buck 400, I made sure I had a UTV that had a low range to tackle hills.  I saw a video of older Massimo that didn't have a low range, and it couldn't tackle the slightest hills in the woods.  The ratio between the Low and Hi range is 2.22:1,  so there is a big difference between having a low range and not having one.

Does your vehicle have a low range?  Before buying my Buck 400, I made sure I had a UTV that had a low range to tackle hills.  I saw a video of older Massimo that didn't have a low range, and it couldn't tackle the slightest hills in the woods.  The ratio between the Low and Hi range is 2.22:1,  so there is a big difference between having a low range and not having one.

Yes it does have a low range. And option for 2 or 4 wheel drive. After driving it for a while I learned I just needed more RPMs and use low range for steeper hills. So it will get us around up in the mountains, but honestly I still wish I had gotten the 700 cc version...but am overall happy with the 500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk