Quantcast

Adding your own design power turn to a plow?

bfisherman11

I bought the 66" KFI plow kit for my 2015 Ranger EXP and I could not be happier. My driveway is gravel and once I got the skid plates adjusted it works great. As good as my experience sounds, one thing might make me even happier, ha. I would like to add the power turn option but at over $800 I think what the heck, I can do that way cheaper.

I looked at a few designs, some guys have used a winch and cable arrangement, others tried a Linear Actuator. I found a guy that did this but he used too light an actuator (300#?) and it busted. I found one on Ebay that pushes 1,320#. For the money I think it will be worth trying. I won't do it this winter but after the season I might design something. First change I would make is the included brackets look way too thin. Other than that though, this looks workable. So, has any other DIY guy like me ever tried this? My online research found a few ideas but very little info on how they held up over time. Thanks! Bill

Linear Actuator.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear of your plowing success with the Ranger. Occasionally we have people asking about snow plowing with these little machines. But being in South East Texas, where it rarely snows. And never enough to plow, much less shovel.  I've had extremely limited experience with this, and can't contribute much.

I've seen things like that done before, albeit not much around here in Texas. Even then, it was always on a light truck. And typically it was a hydraulic system. But it sounds like you're on the right track. Especially with the beefier mounting, and the larger actuator. I use one of those electric actuators for the bed lift of my mule. They work pretty good if you've got enough power. 

Please take the time to document this build, and share it with us. And remember that we love pictures! Good luck with your build, we're looking forward to hearing about the details of your project.