Quantcast

Joyner 1100 Sand Viper won’t shift into 3rd or 4th

SMK

I’m not a mechanic so I don’t really know where to look for the problem and I can’t find a local shop or person to help diagnose the problem. I’m located in Southern California. So my Viper won’t shift into 3rd or 4th but 1st 2nd and reverse work fine. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a cable malfunction. Or possibly there's an obstruction. Maybe a small stick is wedged in there. It happens a lot with any off road vehicle. Usually its just wedged harmlessly though. But sometimes it'll bind up something important.

So you need to get underneath while someone tries to shift. Do NOT force it. Just gently back, and forth while you watch the linkage try to operate. See what moves, and follow the cables, or linkage. Check from the shifter, all the way to the transmission. It sounds like there's a couple of cables involved, since hardly anyone uses mechanical linkage anymore. Make sure you're following the proper cable. Its usually not hard to find the problem. Cables typically fail on the inside though. So keep that in mind. Cables cannot be repaired. They're cheap enough, so they just get replaced.

If its certain that there's no obstruction. And the cables are in good working order. The next step would likely be the transmission itself.

• Like 1

Sounds like a cable malfunction. Or possibly there's an obstruction. Maybe a small stick is wedged in there. It happens a lot with any off road vehicle. Usually its just wedged harmlessly though. But sometimes it'll bind up something important.
So you need to get underneath while someone tries to shift. Do NOT force it. Just gently back, and forth while you watch the linkage try to operate. See what moves, and follow the cables, or linkage. Check from the shifter, all the way to the transmission. It sounds like there's a couple of cables involved, since hardly anyone uses mechanical linkage anymore. Make sure you're following the proper cable. Its usually not hard to find the problem. Cables typically fail on the inside though. So keep that in mind. Cables cannot be repaired. They're cheap enough, so they just get replaced.
If its certain that there's no obstruction. And the cables are in good working order. The next step would likely be the transmission itself.

Thanks for the info. Idk if something is stuck because when the car is not on I can put it in all gears just fine. I just ordered a new clutch should be here in a few days but I need to buy a throw bearing because the clutch doesn’t come with one. Do you know where I could find one by chance??

If it goes easily into gear with the motor off. Then its likely something more than a simple fix. Sounds like something internal.

A bad clutch is certainly possible. But if it were the clutch, wouldn't it be difficult to get into any gear? If it were a car, I'd say that it sounded like a faulty synchronizer. Since you've said that it will go into gear while its not running. That would require opening the transmission. Also any internal transmission parts would likely be difficult to find. But certainly not impossible. 

You'll have to take out the transmission to replace the clutch. So I'd bet the problem will be easier to find then. There's not much to a manual transmission, it's certainly not as complicated as an automatic. I'd try to find a shop service manual, that pictures the assembly. I'd be willing to bet that if the transmission is removed, it would be much easier to find someone to take a look at it.

If it goes easily into gear with the motor off. Then its likely something more than a simple fix. Sounds like something internal.
A bad clutch is certainly possible. But if it were the clutch, wouldn't it be difficult to get into any gear? If it were a car, I'd say that it sounded like a faulty synchronizer. Since you've said that it will go into gear while its not running. That would require opening the transmission. Also any internal transmission parts would likely be difficult to find. But certainly not impossible. 
You'll have to take out the transmission to replace the clutch. So I'd bet the problem will be easier to find then. There's not much to a manual transmission, it's certainly not as complicated as an automatic. I'd try to find a shop service manual, that pictures the assembly. I'd be willing to bet that if the transmission is removed, it would be much easier to find someone to take a look at it.

Ok so after more messing around I was wrong it does not go into 3rd or 4th while the car is off. I thought it was but it was just slipping into 1st and 2nd again. I followed the shorter cables back to the end where it connects the the engine and filmed the mechanism while I tried to shift into all the gears. It looks like something is stopping it from working properly. I can’t upload the video on here for some reason but here’s some pictures e7beaff1f19bdac54b5541ed8b6047b5.jpg
1d522a40c6e5a45d254aa7ee14d446bd.jpg

Just to make certain that its in the transmission, and not the cable. I'd unhook the cable, and make sure its operating freely. Then try to manually operate the mechanism. Yeah, its probably internal. But sometimes you do get lucky.

Okay I’ll try that. I’ll get back to you ASAP