Quantcast

Have a new r4 approx 800 miles just noticed the tach wont sweep with ignition on but the speedo does, also will start with out the clutch engaged.  my 2012 r4 tach and speedo both sweep and it wont start unless the clutch is engaged , any ideas why?. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Matt

Probably design variations and software changes over the years.  Your new R4 (presuming it's 2014 or later) has the 1100cc engine with a different computer than your 2012.  On my 2014, both tach & speedo sweep and will start as long as the transmission is in neutral.  As long as your tach and speedo work normally while driving, I don't think I'd worry too much about it.

Thanks for the reply it runs perfect the tach didsweep when I first got it , also noticed it's hard to start most times , I haft to actually hold down the accelerator to get it to start about 80% of the time just wondered if it was a software issue. other that that it runs great there is a big difference in my old one verses the new one  old one will go pretty close to 70mph the new one must have really low gears in 5th gear every 1000 rpms is 10mph  at 50 mph in turning 5000 rpms  so about 30mph is as fast as I go in it. Thanks Again for the reply. Matt

A little bit of rambling on my part here.  I'm only familair with my machine.   There may be variations between model years.  My speed is also 10 mph / 1000 rpm.  I've never had my machine over 35 mph - too fast for this old goat and also too fast for the trails I ride.  This engine is an over square engine.  That is to say the bore is larger than the stroke.  They are designed for higher RPMs.  Myu speedo redlines at 75 mph - implies that the engine redlines at 7500 RPM.  The Renegade uses gearing through the transmission and differentials to put more torque to the drive axles. The 800cc & 1100cc Renegades had a transmission with the part number:  5TO7D1   From the part numbers, it appears that the Trooper and Renegade both use the same transmission for the 800cc & 1100cc engine packages (Trooper 1100cc only).  Mine won't start until the gauges complete their sweep. Then it starts right up without any accelerator or clutch input.  Does your engine turn over with the clutch pedal released?  If not, your model year might have a safety switch with the clutch to prevent starting without the clutch being depressed.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By EJR
      I have a 2012 Coleman (hisun) hs700. The cooling fan quit working. I replaced the water temp sensor/ radiator fan switch located towards the bottom of the radiator. That did not cure the problem. I also put 12v directly to the fan to make sure the fan was still good. I then took the harness off the new temp sensor and shorted it to turn on the fan and nothing. Is there something else in line I should look at? I also found the sensor at the motor and jumpered through it. Still did not work.
      Any suggestions? 
      Thanks
    • By Brad G
      Timing chain broke. Replaced the timing chain, oil pump chain, cam & rings. Ran great for 2 hours. Brought it home, started & drove to the shop. Next day started & drove around the property and it started running rough, wouldn’t idle just died, restarted & took it to the shop. Next day wouldn’t even start just crank over. Drained all the fuel & replaced with new, bought a new plug & ecu! Fired right up and let it run for an hour & burped the coolant as I had double checked the timing & valves prior. Next day started it and it was running a bit rough but smoothed out & ran for another hour. Next day it just cranks & won’t start! I’m at my wits end with this machine and would appreciate any help or suggestions on what might be the issue. Thanks in advance! 

Brad
    • By Yourname
      Hi everyone new to utv board
      I have a 2012 Joyner R2 im having a loss of power unit idles fine and starts right up but bogs down around 2000 + rpms unit will then begin fluctuating high rpm low rpm Repeatedly under throttle  it’s  almost like it’s in a limp mode fuel line will stiffen and go back loose again I can see the pump look like it’s cutting on and off while this is happening  I I have changed all vacuum lines fuel lines changed FPR and fuel pump And also the injectors  and I have swapped out the TPS sensor 
    • By PierceIt
      Hi everyone - I was driving my 2017 Cub Cadet Challenger 750 EPS today on the ranch when it dies on me. It started right up - and then as i was driving after about 50 feet the engine just turned off. It was running perfect before it cut out on me. No alarms, no weird sounds or smells. It just turned off. 
      When I turn the ignition key, the starter cranks away and the battery and starter turns fast and strong - but the engine doesn't start.
      I've confirmed gas flow to the carb - that the fuel filters are clean and clear. I've replaced the spark plug with a brand new one. I checked every fuse with a meter. I have confirmed air filters and airflow are good. 
      But the darn thing cranks away without the engine even making a sputter or even attempting to fire.
      Is there a kill switch somewhere that could have been tripped? I checked the seatbelt sensor, the brake sensor, and parking gear sensor - all are working and i'm in Park, pressing down on the brake, and have the seatbelt latched when i try to start. but - nada!
      It acts like it isn't getting a spark. but like i said i put in a new spark plug. I have a feeling there is a sensor or an electrical kill switch somewhere that tripped. 
      open to any ideas.
      thanks all
      Pierce
    • By Kyle
      Hey guys, looking to get some insight on my issue, my hisun 800 sxs runs now that I replaced the crankshaft position sensor however it won't run unless I have the throttle Down like 4000 rpm!, it will idle down but it won't stay running at all as soon as it drops to 3000 RPM it just dies almost like you're turning the key off. I have good compression I just adjusted the valves. Any help is much appreciated thanks.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By DirtGrl
      Hey guys! My throttle cable broke in its housing. Can anyone tell me what aftermarket cable would work for a 1100 renegade Joyner?
      TIA
    • By Dan B
      The brake pads on my Renegade seem to be quite thin, less than 1800 miles.  Does anyone know what the thickness of new brake pad friction material is.  It will give me an idea as to how much brake pad life I might have left.  A supplier or suitable substitues would also be helpful in case I need to get new ones.  Thanks in advance.
    • By Michael Kinlaw
      I have a 2016 R4 and I was about to load it on my trailer and the steering just broke I think. My front wheels are both pointing outwards. Does this mean front differential broke?  I jacked it up and got them both pointing in the right direction. When up in the air they work together. But as soon as I put back on the ground and move it a few feet they separate again. 
    • By josephb
      Couldn't find in parts and pieces any aftermarket front lower ball joints for an 09 Renegade. Thanks in advance if you can help.
    • By Nate
      New to this forum i have been looking for a rim for our rig for several days called joyner and a dealer in mississippi but no luck been told they don't make em was just wondering if anyone pulled any off and want to sell did find some in cali but won't ship lol thanks in advance