Quantcast

Coleman (Hisun) 550 first oil change

Howdy all,

I searched the forum (and the internet in general) for this and didn't find anything that looked like an answer.

I purchased a Coleman 550 from Tractor Supply last October.  Runs well.  Really only one issue that I have had and that is a dragging brake pad.  Still haven't fixed it, but hope to soon.

For now, it is time for the first oil change (38 hours).  After some reading, I decided to use Mobil 1 4T 10w-40.  I also purchased a filter from motorcyledoctor.com.  Got the filter and noticed that there is a hex head on the end.  I thought "Hey that's nifty, but I wonder why they did that?".  Then I went to change the oil and I know why now.  Which brings me to my question.

How in the hell is one supposed to get that oil filter off?  First off, it is not obvious how to take the seat base out to get leverage.  I thought about cutting out the plastic above where the filter is.  But decided against it for now.  I tried my best to work within the tiny space given to get the filter out.  I have a number of different filter wrenches.  Only one is able to fit over the filter.  But ... I could not get the filter to break loose.

So, I ordered a strap wrench from Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZH57V5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In case that doesn't work, I also ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVNH2QV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My intention with the latter is that if the strap wrench does not work, I will punch a hole or two into the side of the second product.  Put it over the end of the filter, put two screws into it and hope I can break it loose.

Anyone else experience this incredibly difficult task?  I have always worked on my own vehicles and have had some difficult circumstances, but I always prevailed.  Not this time.  The Coleman 550 b*tch slapped me this weekend and is pointing and laughing at me.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.  If nothing else, just some content on the subject so that someone else who might be having the same issue can find this and get some ideas.

Thanks,

CC

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Broke the strap on the strap wrench trying to remove the filter.  The other item that I listed above will not fit over the end of the filter.  Just a bit too small.

There is not enough room to drive a screw driver through the filter and have any travel to be able to loosen it.  The seat pan is in the way and simply removing the seat pan on this model does not seem to be an option without removing large portions of the body.

I think I am at the point where I need to find certified service center somewhere in central Texas.  Unless someone has another suggestion?

CC

Hi. Where did you get this?  How’s the new oil working out?  some message boards post say we need to add more than the manual specified oil to protect the wet clutch.  Did you just put in the little less than 2 quarts?   Have you been able to locate a parts and service manual?  I’ve written to 
Coleman and HISUN with several questions, zero response.    Thanks 

On 9/28/2020 at 8:40 AM, Ridge Runner said:

Hi. Where did you get this?  How’s the new oil working out?  some message boards post say we need to add more than the manual specified oil to protect the wet clutch.  Did you just put in the little less than 2 quarts?   Have you been able to locate a parts and service manual?  I’ve written to 
Coleman and HISUN with several questions, zero response.    Thanks 

I got the "jaw" style filter wrench from Advance Auto Parts

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lisle-import-car-oil-filter-wrench-63600/25981259-P?searchTerm=filter wrench

spacer.png

I added 2.5 quarts (over filled per suggestions I had read) of Mobil 1 10w-40 4T.  The shifter is 1000% smoother.

spacer.png

I have the owner's manual.  A service manual is proving difficult to find.  

CC

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/29/2020 at 2:18 PM, mcraigchr said:

Howdy all,

I searched the forum (and the internet in general) for this and didn't find anything that looked like an answer.

I purchased a Coleman 550 from Tractor Supply last October.  Runs well.  Really only one issue that I have had and that is a dragging brake pad.  Still haven't fixed it, but hope to soon.

For now, it is time for the first oil change (38 hours).  After some reading, I decided to use Mobil 1 4T 10w-40.  I also purchased a filter from motorcyledoctor.com.  Got the filter and noticed that there is a hex head on the end.  I thought "Hey that's nifty, but I wonder why they did that?".  Then I went to change the oil and I know why now.  Which brings me to my question.

How in the hell is one supposed to get that oil filter off?  First off, it is not obvious how to take the seat base out to get leverage.  I thought about cutting out the plastic above where the filter is.  But decided against it for now.  I tried my best to work within the tiny space given to get the filter out.  I have a number of different filter wrenches.  Only one is able to fit over the filter.  But ... I could not get the filter to break loose.

So, I ordered a strap wrench from Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZH57V5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In case that doesn't work, I also ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVNH2QV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My intention with the latter is that if the strap wrench does not work, I will punch a hole or two into the side of the second product.  Put it over the end of the filter, put two screws into it and hope I can break it loose.

Anyone else experience this incredibly difficult task?  I have always worked on my own vehicles and have had some difficult circumstances, but I always prevailed.  Not this time.  The Coleman 550 b*tch slapped me this weekend and is pointing and laughing at me.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.  If nothing else, just some content on the subject so that someone else who might be having the same issue can find this and get some ideas.

Thanks,

CC

Good to know I still have a bit to go before my oail change. 
I might change it early then.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 8:38 PM, Ridge Runner said:

Owners manual says 1.89 quarts with new filter, Service manual say 2.22 quarts with new filter.  It’s a dilemma...  not enough oil, May damage clutch and motor, too much oil could cause problems as well.  

mscraigchr:  did your drain plug have a spring and metal screen inside (under the drain plug bolt?  

thanks 

Had a spring, not a metal screen however.  Was not expecting that spring the first change.  It released and shot that crap all over me.

My Coleman is gone now.  Traded it in yesterday for a Kubota RTVX 1140.  There is no comparison.  

Oh, and I always put 2.5 qts in with filter change.

Craig C.

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

Thanks Craig.  Was yours a 2019 model?  Did you do ok on trade value?  
thanks ,

Yes, mine was a 2019 according to the title.  I took a bath on the trade.  $3000.   Probably could have gotten a little more if I sold it myself, but that's a beating and logistically tough where I am located.

Craig C.

21 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Thanks Craig.  I think if I traded here I’d get beaten bad too.  So far my machine has been good, but I keep hearing the horror stories.  

If you change your mind ... Kubota is offering 0% for 48 months.  I bought the rtvx 1140 and a 20' tandem axle trailer (Orange Line (Kubota's Trailer Line)).  Financed every cent.  I usually pay cash for toys like this, but free money is too attractive to pass up.

Craig C.

12 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Thanks Craig.  Sure takes some of the sting out of the cost, when spread over 4 years at 0%.  Is yours a hydrostatic diesel?

Yes.  I have a Kubota tractor (MX5800) that I have had zero issues with (300 hours).  So, on top of having a trust level built up, there is a feature on the 1140 that I decided I could not live without.  The back seat folds up making the bed larger.  So, 2 seater with a very large bed or 4 seater with a small bed.  Best of both worlds.  It rides very smooth.  Built like a tank.

And ... I checked to make sure that maintenance would not be as tough as the Coleman.  Filters are easy to get to.  lol

Craig C.