Quantcast

Anthony Butler

No 5th gear in joyner trooper

Soo for my second problem lol, 2009 trooper 1100 5 speed , will not engage 5th gear , all others work fine but seems like 5th doesn't engage completely and wont grab the gear. Any idea on where to start looking for issues, or what to look for in regards to linkage. 

Hope that there's no intenal issue.  I would check the adjusments on the cables.  You might be having issues with 1s or 3rd but they aren't manifesting themselves as 5th gear is doing.  The manual says the shift lever has to be in a vertical position when in neutral.  I expect yours is otherwise you'd have more than a 5th gear issue.  If this doesn't help, maybe an internal investigation might be in order.

Gear Shift Adjustments.jpg

Have you checked the gear oil level? What about shifting when it's not running? Or if you try to manually manipulate the linkage at the transmission? 

I havent checked the gear oil level yet, all other gears are fine except for 5th.

At the shifter it "appears" to go into 5th but definitely does not in the transmission, moving or not .

I have to admit, that it does sound like an internal problem. But you have to check out the easy stuff first. Like the fluid level both in the transmission, and the clutch. Low fluid levels in either, can cause shifting problems. 

On most transmissions there's an inspection plate, or a way to look inside without taking the transmission apart. Although it would still have to be removed from the vehicle. Internal problems are usually pretty easy to spot.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By PierceIt
      Hi everyone - I was driving my 2017 Cub Cadet Challenger 750 EPS today on the ranch when it dies on me. It started right up - and then as i was driving after about 50 feet the engine just turned off. It was running perfect before it cut out on me. No alarms, no weird sounds or smells. It just turned off. 
      When I turn the ignition key, the starter cranks away and the battery and starter turns fast and strong - but the engine doesn't start.
      I've confirmed gas flow to the carb - that the fuel filters are clean and clear. I've replaced the spark plug with a brand new one. I checked every fuse with a meter. I have confirmed air filters and airflow are good. 
      But the darn thing cranks away without the engine even making a sputter or even attempting to fire.
      Is there a kill switch somewhere that could have been tripped? I checked the seatbelt sensor, the brake sensor, and parking gear sensor - all are working and i'm in Park, pressing down on the brake, and have the seatbelt latched when i try to start. but - nada!
      It acts like it isn't getting a spark. but like i said i put in a new spark plug. I have a feeling there is a sensor or an electrical kill switch somewhere that tripped. 
      open to any ideas.
      thanks all
      Pierce
    • By MassBuck400
      I purchased this Buck 400 last year and having a few issues. Maybe some members have had these and fixed them.
      Here are my current issues with the B400. 1. Starting has become a challenge. Not the actual starting of the engine but to keep it running. When I turn the key, it starts up but as soon as I let go of the key and it turns back, the 400 dies. I have learned if I hold the key for a few seconds it will remain running.  Not a clue as to what would cause this or how to fix it? 2. This thing  is very hard to get in gear now. It grinds a lot before it goes in gear. Maybe the clutch needs adjusting? 3. I jerks a lot on take off. This could also be the clutch?   Any help would be appreciated.   
    • By M C
      Hey guys just bought a 07 trooper. Previous owner stated it ran great etc prior to clutch job then had issues. I drained tank, replaced plugs etc. found one of the injectors connectors was not connected and plugged it in. Solid 50psi fuel pressure.  It starts easier than previously on 3 cylinders but still runs very very poorly. I’m thinking the sound I’m hearing is it detonating at around 3k. It kinda sputters and falls apart. Sounds like clicking or something when it happens. I am at a bit of a loss, compression is a solid 150psi across the board with no movement. Verified spark and now am assuming all injector are functioning more or less correct as if I unplug any one it sound terrible at idle. 

A note, I tapped plugs at .7 manual called for .9-1.1 but that seems super over doing it but I will try adjusting them to 1.0
      additionally I’ve noticed the fan in rear doesn’t turn on. 

anyone with any help I will be in your debt.
    • By EJR
      I have a 2012 Coleman (hisun) hs700. The cooling fan quit working. I replaced the water temp sensor/ radiator fan switch located towards the bottom of the radiator. That did not cure the problem. I also put 12v directly to the fan to make sure the fan was still good. I then took the harness off the new temp sensor and shorted it to turn on the fan and nothing. Is there something else in line I should look at? I also found the sensor at the motor and jumpered through it. Still did not work.
      Any suggestions? 
      Thanks
    • By mixfixdave
      I had been wanting to install power steering on my T4 for years so I went to the salvage yard last weekend and bought a complete column (minus airbag) out of a 2009 Nissan Versa for $125 with the ECU.
      It was a fairly simple install. The long shaft that fits to the Joyner steering rack actually fit perfectly into the Nissan column. Had to weld up a U joint on the Nissan column to make it a straight shaft and fab up one simple bracket. Connect power and ground plus a switched 12v and now I can steer with one hand!

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Kelly Stump
      Just put new rings in my joyner trooper 1100 and it still smokes. I dont know what else to do. Can some one tell me why?
    • By Chad Rice
      HELP - my wife and i just bought a 2013 joyner trooper 1100 and we rode for 2 evenings with no problems. Went to ride last night and all of a sudden it acted like something was catching up and it didn't want to move easily. Whatever it was must've broke and now it moves with no problem but is making a rubbing/grinding noise somewhere in the backend. Could it be wheel bearing, differential, or something in cv shaft. Any info or similar experiences is appreciated. 
    • By Dan B
      The brake pads on my Renegade seem to be quite thin, less than 1800 miles.  Does anyone know what the thickness of new brake pad friction material is.  It will give me an idea as to how much brake pad life I might have left.  A supplier or suitable substitues would also be helpful in case I need to get new ones.  Thanks in advance.
    • By Jhen
      I just purchased a Joyner Trooper T2.  Does anyone know if it can be registered to use on the roads in Arizona?  It has the street legal stuff like mirrors and turn signals.  It also has catalyst and air sensor.  I tried to get it insured and insurance told me "it's a dune buggy".   We don't insure dune buggies!   The title, which I can't get changed until the 28th of July (appointment issues) shows Joyne  ATV.  I really enjoy the Trooper and it fills the bill for what my wife and I were looking for.   
    • By Neil Wilson
      I just bought a 2008 Trooper T2 not knowing much about them. On this one the owner said the horn doesn't work, the winch never did work and during inspection the rear brake lights didn't work. He said he replaced the rear light pods recently and the brake lights worked before. He said the fuse module is corroded so he bypassed it and rigged up his own switches for the fuel pump and radiator fan. I see in the wiring diagram the horn and rear brake lights are on the same circuit. Now I am worried the problem is in the wiring harness.
      I have the wiring diagram from the online manual but I can't make any sense of it. I see lots of posts about wiring issues and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the issues I see with these machines and am regretting buying it.
      For now my main concern is to get the brake lights working so I can drive it to some nearby trails. I would appreciate any advice on how to go about diagnosing the problem or workarounds. Also if there is a better wiring diagram out there that might help. I would consider hiring someone local to diagnose it so any recommendations are welcome.
      TIA.