Quantcast

Has anyone ever installed a exhaust silencer on there Landmaster? I recently retired from the military and having a lot more time to deer hunt and want something to quite my utv’s exhaust so it’s not so loud going up the mountain. Thanks! 

On 10/21/2020 at 10:21 PM, Beardy13 said:

Has anyone ever installed a exhaust silencer on there Landmaster? I recently retired from the military and having a lot more time to deer hunt and want something to quite my utv’s exhaust so it’s not so loud going up the mountain. Thanks! 

I have zero experience with an exhaust silencer. But my thought would be, that it'd have to help with the noise. I can't imagine that it would actually be quiet, but instead, I'd expect the improvement to be only marginally better. 

If you're thinking about stealth. I seriously doubt that it'll actually be quiet. That whole side of the mountain will still be aware of your presence. But I would certainly think that the noise would be somewhat improved. 

Those silencers have been around for years. If it were that easy, then everyone would have one. And it would probably be standard equipment on most buggies. So I'd caution you not to over expect, for results. 

If they make a direct fit, that installs clean, and neatly on your machine. Then it's probably worth the effort and expense. And I don't see how it could hurt. If you go that direction, please document, and share the install here with us. As well as the results. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Chris Miller
      Good Morning Folks..Happy New Year, I have been having some intermittent issues with my 2015 American Landmaster LM500 not going into neutral. Seems if I shut the engine off it would pop into neutral. Yesterday I was splitting firewood with a 500 pound log splitter that I pushed to my wood area up a slight grade. I was not able to get it into neutral which I assumed was due to the pressure of the weight of the splitter pushing back. after I finished splitting wood, I used the weight of the splitter to roll back down the hill to my driveway. I unhooked the splitter but still could not get it to go into neutral or start. I dragged it back into my barn with my mower as I don't leave anything outside over night. I am at a loss what to check to try to fix this. I use my UTV (Eustas) every day that I am at my place where I keep it and will be lost without it. Thoughts? 
    • By cliffyk
      I recently acquired a new 2020 Coleman Outfitter 400 and overall am quite pleased with it. I had the "too be expected" loose bolts (first thing I checked), all related to the final assembly conducted by the pimple-faced kid "mechanic" at Tractor Supply.--the bolts in the upper driver's side roll bar joint were just hand tight, as were those of the upper seat belt anchors--but other than that it had been pretty well assembled.
      The included owner's manual  is not current; it speaks of using the choke to cold-start the motor (it's EFI, no choke),  and shows the ignition and lighting switches as dash-mounted when in fact they are on the steering column. It also direct you to remove the seat to change the spark plug--except that on this revision the cylinder tilts rearward and the cylinder head in found beneath the dump bed. Other maintenance tasks are similarly ill-described and it is generally useless.
      I did find the exhaust note to be a bit strident and devised the following to tone it down a bit. I used one of those inexpensive 1" NPT female inlet B&S "muffin" mufflers that have been around for decades, and a steel 1" EMT to steel box adapters that have been available for a like time:

1" EMT has an outside diameter of 29.5 mm, the tailpipe extension on the beast is 28 mm O.D.--so I use a partially overlapped  cylindrical shim spacer of 28 ga. (0.47 mm) galvanized sheet metal to fit the EMT adapter to the tailpipe . Bedded well in muffler putty the single set screw on the adapter mounted it up quite firmly.On my first ride I found the motor to feel and sound a bit constipated--so i drilled out the 106 1/8" holes in the faced of the muffin to 9/64". This is a 26.5% increase in area [(9/64)^2 / (1/8)^2 = 1.2656]

That made the difference needed to restore proper flow without making it too loud again:It

is arguably not a pretty as some of the $100+ aftermarket alternative, but at $15 for the muffler and adapter it better fits my budget.Make sure you get the genuine B&S part (# 392989) as the 3rd party clones lack an inner baffle that makes them inherently louder than the B&S piece.

FWIW--I  also  removed the front anti-roll bar--and have found little to no adverse effect on handling (and arguably some positive effect)--it also got rid of an annoying  rattle from the low-quality driver's side roll bar tie-rod end. Put in an iridium spark plug too...

• By silverbullett
      Just purchased a 2020 Pro DX  with Yanmar diesel. Had a 2007  3010 Trans Diesel I traded in. My problem is that the new machine is so much noisier  than my old one.
      Has anyone had any luck in quieting down the noise? Sound proofing.?...changing the exhaust routing.?...the muffler? Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.
    • By SxSs are Cool
      I got to spend a day in the new Kawasaki Teryx KRX 1000 and wrote a review for Autoweek. I speculate that the future of UTVs will include far more luxury than current models, sort of the way SUVs started out as pickup trucks and evolved into as much luxury as they could pack into them. We're sort of at a crossroad in this evolution. What do you guys think? Are UTVs getting more luxurious? Here's the article: 
      https://www.autoweek.com/drives/a34050614/side-by-sides-are-neck-and-neck-with-motorcycles-when-it-comes-to-fun/

• By Jon
      Had this UTV 1 week now, previous owner had put windshield and back window on, has half doors but no windows.  Is there a simple fix for exhaust fumes in cab, tailpipe extension etc?    Thx so much.   Jon
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By scottbliz
      I am having shifter problems.  The gears are grinding and now it will not go into neutral.  Is it easier to adjust the cables from under the hood or under the bed?  Both are difficult to reach for an old woman.  
    • By Ncheek
      I am lookong into getting a utv to use around the hoise and farm, along with some easy trail riding. I won't be going crazy on the trails, but would like to take it into the woods some.

Has anyone had experience with an american sports works Landmaster? I can't afford and really wouldn't want to spend 8,9 or 10 k on a ranger, rhino etc... Is this a good alt? 
    • By Josh
      I have a land master  LM 400. Starts up just fine and idles fine but as soon as I run it for a little bit it seems to start sputtering so I pulled a choke out and it runs fine for a couple seconds and then I push the choke back in and it just shuts off. Any suggestions as to why? 
    • By Chris Miller
      Good Morning Folks..Happy New Year, I have been having some intermittent issues with my 2015 American Landmaster LM500 not going into neutral. Seems if I shut the engine off it would pop into neutral. Yesterday I was splitting firewood with a 500 pound log splitter that I pushed to my wood area up a slight grade. I was not able to get it into neutral which I assumed was due to the pressure of the weight of the splitter pushing back. after I finished splitting wood, I used the weight of the splitter to roll back down the hill to my driveway. I unhooked the splitter but still could not get it to go into neutral or start. I dragged it back into my barn with my mower as I don't leave anything outside over night. I am at a loss what to check to try to fix this. I use my UTV (Eustas) every day that I am at my place where I keep it and will be lost without it. Thoughts?