Quantcast

Inexpensive Wireless Winch Controller

cliffyk

Hello all,

While "surfing" at Amazon I stumbled across this Wireless Winch Remote Control for $17.

WinchRemote-00.jpg

It comes with absolutely NO documentation, but fortunately I was able to garner what I needed from scouring the web and examining the wired pendant controller that came with the "Thing" (what SWMBO calls my Outfitter 400).

Once installed I found it performed just as claimed and in fact better--my testing found the remotes to have  a solid 120 + ft range--though I cannot for the life of me envision a situation where I'd want to run the winch from 100 feet away?  The control module is fully potted and waterproof, the remotes are well made and as sturdy as they need to be,  HIGHLY recommended!

If anyone is interested I can post photos and a wiring diagram...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I don't think cliffyk posts here anymore due to gthing rid of his HS400 after some medical issues.

I don't see that particular remote available, but looking on amazon there are tons of other similar ones available in the $20 range.

Hooking it up you will need to be able to splice some wires or crimp some terminals.

The winch control relay is under the front hood towards the top middle. It's a little square box with wires going onto the terminals.

The remote winch controller needs power and a ground, as well as a connection for in and out. you should be able to disconnect the wires in the back of the socket under the dash and connect there.

See diagram below. You will need to connect the ground wire on the new controller to a solid chassis ground.369436202_Screenshot_20220818-102750_SamsungNotes.jpg.104ac186f144954030fdf2d808a6ce7f.jpg

I believe the HF ones come with a plug that matches their winches so yo would have to disassemble it and figure out which wire was which to make it work. There are a dozen plus sub $20 choices on amazon that come bare wire that would be easier. No disassembly, and the wires come labeled as to function.

If you grab a set of crimp "bullet connectors" and a crimping tool you can install it and still be able to switch back to the factory setup by reconnecting the old wires for the plug in a couple minutes.

• 1 month later...

Great post. Can anyone share which color wire goes to which number connection 1 - 2 - 3 ?

with 3 prongs and 3 wires if my old math lessons from 30 years ago in high school still serve me right that’s 3 squared so 9 possible combinations to really screw up the wiring. Haha. Well, one will be right so I guess 8 to screw jt up so anyone save me the sparks flying? Thank you