Quantcast

Bennche Bighorn 400 Exhaust question

I have a Bennche Bighorn 400.  I happened to be checking the fuel pump, and when I looked down, I saw that the donut between the muffler pipe and the exhaust manifold was split, and the springs (I only found 3 of the 4) were all lying there, broken.  I purchased a new donut and springs, and installed everything.  In order to get a good fit, and to get the springs installed, I had to put something under that joint to prop it up, otherwise it would sag.  I used a piece of lumber about 2" thick as a temporary prop.  Once I got everything installed, I was able to remove my prop.  I think I'd like to put another prop under that joint, just to give it a little extra support.  My question is, what could I use that wouldn't cave or burn under the heat of the muffler?  Thanks!

Wow!  Scrubcadet10, you must be all over the place!  I had actually taken one picture before I installed the new donut and springs.  It's hard to tell, but there is about a 1-2" space right underneath the joint that you see.  The pipe is held up by the muffler on one end and exhaust manifold on the other.   It just sort of floats in between.  It probably doesn't need anything at all..... I just didn't understand why the springs all broke and the donut cracked.  I figured that maybe it was from this joint being able to flex a little since it was floating, if that makes any sense.  

muffler.jpg

It does make sense to add a support to it...

i see a hole drilled down below and to the left of the pipe,  or drill a new hole right below the pipe if possible, you might can buy some 1/8" or 3/16  flat stock, bend it at a small L shape, drill through the short piece of the L,  and use  a bolt and nut to secure it to the machine... not sure how you would attach it to the exhaust, unless you put another bend in where it puts a slight amount of pressure upwards on it, or  bend it at an L to run parallel to the exhaust pipe underneath for a few inches, and use an exhaust clamp to secure it to the pipe.. that may work.