Quantcast

2017 Ranger XP1000 - Oil Leak

Hi All, I have a 2004 Ranger which had an oil leak at the corner of the head gasket. I have replaced the Gasket twice along with a resurface the second time. I have performed all the re torqueing,  used the updated OEM Gaskets direct from Polaris etc...It still leaks.

Now I also have a 2017 Ranger XP 1000.  It leaks too - at pretty much the same location as the 2004. Only 150 miles driven. Does anyone have any suggestions that I need to consider before repairing it ? I'd like to get this done in one attempt. With only 150 miles on it - I'm kind of bummed on Polaris at the moment. I'd appreciate any suggestions here.

20210522_131910.jpg

20210522_131924.jpg

Wow that is quite a leak!

Whenever i have trouble diagnosing an oil leak, i use the UV dye... because oil leaks don't always come from where you think they are.

I repaired a briggs engine with it, another "pro" shop replaced the crankcase gasket, oil seals etc, to stop a leak that gathered dirt all under the engine, i removed the engine, cleaned it up really good.  put it on a test stand,  put some dye in the oil, and within a few minutes, an $2.00 O-Ring that seals the oil pump cover began weeping oil... very rare for one of those to leak.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.