Quantcast

Wake up, time to get going

Guest Lenny

What has happened? I think everybody died. Nobody is posting.

I figured too much time has passed without anybody shaking the bushes so I figured I would give it a try. I've done a few things to my Trooper that I thought might be of interest. First off, I tore out my electrcal 4 wheel drive switch which has proved to be unreliable. I replaced it with a mechanical one. I basicly use a portion of the back side of the existing plastic box. This has a sleeve which plugs into the diff that has an O-ring and a shaft seal for the pin that stickis out of the diff. The pin defaults to the front dif being engaged which is pinout. When it's pushed it (4 wheel disengaged ), it pushes against a spring in the dif which which pushes it out ( 4 wheel engaged ) when the pin is released. I took the existing spring in the OEM box and used it to push the pin in. when I pull the lever back on the dash, it cmpresses this spring which allows the dif to disengage when when ready rather then when I pull the lever. The lever on the dash is a over center cam type setup so it either springs to the up position or down position switching about mid way in it's stroke. Works real good and is reliable.

In the picture of the mechanism on the dif, you'll see that my steering column has a hose clamp on it. The inner shaft was a little loose in the outter one so I put a 1/8" wide by a thicness that took up the play peice of steel and tapped it in between the two shafts. The hose clamp holds it from comming out. No more steering column rattle.

I also added a grab handle for the passenger side. The main round shafts are from a crutch which has real strong aluminum that can still be welded and It has a way to adjust the position of the handle already done for you. I get good grip on the dash plastic which is quite thick ( close to 3/16" ) and at a corner which spreads the stress real well. The other end is anchored to the lower frame of my windsheild. It's feels very strong without any dash flex when I pull hard on it. I have been concerned with the passengers arms should I crash or roll over. I'M not real confortable with wrist restraining straps. I want to be able to exit as quick as possible. I use camlock seat harnesses to I can be out in an instant. The driver can hold the steering wheel tight in an accident and now so can the passenger keeping arms out of harms way.

Well this is long enough to make up for the lack of post the last few days. Kinarfi stopped to visit on his way to Las Vegas over the weekend. I enjoyed meeting him and his wife and chatting with them for a while. He and his wife are both real nice.

Have fun

Lenny

2145452170104282158CxXEWp_th.jpg- 2087950160104282158QgBWTu_th.jpg- 2298715100104282158XJXzsc_th.jpg- 2877039820104282158AfIzoP_th.jpg