Quantcast

2018 Massimo MSU 500 not cranking.

Jay Smith

I have a 2018 Massimo MSU 500. I was riding and it just shut down. No noise or anything. Got fire and fuel. It will not crank. Also timing chain is not moving.  Was wondering if anyone has run into this. If there was a cam sensor or any other sensor that would do this, or is the engine just done. Thanks for any information..

• Alex changed the title to 2018 Massimo MSU 500 not cranking.

How do you know that it's getting fire, and fuel, if it doesn't crank over? Did you mean that it won't start?

If it cranks, you need to see if the timing chain is either broken, or the gears that it drives are slipping. Maybe it just lost the woodruff key?

Either way, I wouldn't count it out just yet. It could easily be something simple. 

• 7 months later...

I could get spark if the crankshaft and stator are working, but if the camshaft is not turning then you could have a broken timing chain , a broken camshaft or the bolts backed off the timing gear that connects to the camshaft.  I have seen this situation many times on motorcycles.  Take off your camshaft cover and turn over the engine and you should find the problem right away, usually an easy fix.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By great8redsfan
      Okay folks. I have a low power issue. Been like this for a few years. Place I work at bought 3 and all have lost most of the pulling power.  They gave them away after local shop worked on one for 3 months and it had great power for about 1 month and then crap. They replaced throttle body, fuel injector, spark plug and IAC motor. Seat belt switches have wires cut and left open so no seat belt warning light anymore. It revs to 6k rpm in neutral but when put in gear and take off in low it just doesn’t seem to want to go anymore. Running 93 octane fuel with Stabil.  Any ideas greatly appreciated. I dont have a scan tool but no codes on dash. If held to floor it pops a little and runs almost 5K rpm but if I let off pedal about an inch it smoothed out and revs up to 6k rpm. 
    • By LongSun
      I can not find it on the board, so I'm afraid I'm the only cheapo on the forum.
      What is the fuel economy of the Hisun HS590? (I guess it is the same as the HS550)
      I count in liter per 100 km, but if you use MPG it's okay with me, but please tell if you use the US or UK MPG!
    • By Buddee
      Put a new carb on the 500 to replace the leaking OE one.  Machine idles fine and mid and top end runs great.  It tends to have a hesitation right from the start - bottom end.   Thinking it may be the air/fuel screw??  I didn't do anything with the carb out of the box and is it direct replacement for my machine.  Of interest is the manual choke doesn't seem to work very good now.... wonder is it getting too much air?

Any help appreciated!

• By DLJ
      Have a Hisun 800 it runs for about 35 minutes then stalls. Crank's over but has no spark. Let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes and it starts and runs again for about 35 minutes. Changed the CDI / ECU controller and still does it.
    • By tim hughes
      does any one else have a slipping belt on the hisun ...i put new wet clutch one way bearing new belt, cleaned primary and secondary and still get slight slippage