Quantcast

2007 Polaris Ranger XP cough at 3/4 to full throttle

I have a 07 700Xp Ranger, 320hrs, the machine started to develop a cough at 3/4 to full throttle. The Machine runs perfect other than that, and will cruise down the road at 5900 RPM with no issue. If you stomp the gas from idol or low RPM it wont start the issue until the RPMS get above 5K, if you running 3-4K it will do it as soon as the throttle reaches 3/4 open. I have changed the plugs and read them, look slightly lean but not bad. No codes except and code its had since I owned it for the transmission. Tested fuel pressure, its right on, looked for air leaks around the boot, found none. I also changed the belt just to make sure it wasn't a slipping issue that the tach didn't show it getting to the rev limiter. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

• Alex changed the title to 2007 Polaris Ranger XP cough at 3/4 to full throttle

Just started it a few weeks ago, I did notice an issue with voltage to the battery this weekend, suspected the voltage regulator bat was 12.4V when i started the machine it went to 11.8 and would only come up to 12.2 at 3000 RPM. No starting issues though! I took the VR off and tried to get a new one but Polaris was out, so I put it back on and it was charging normally again, but still popping. I also noticed that tach shows it idling at 970RPM but sounds more like 6-700 RPMs to me. I got a new VR coming this week. hoping it fixes  all the issues... 

After re-reading your original post, I see you've considered the limiter. If the VR doesn't fix the problem. I'd wonder if it's a gummed up fuel system? Since there's no codes, and very low hours.

I've found, that if it starts, and runs, and that's the problem, then there's hope of it self cleaning, by running it enough.

I'd try adding some seafoam, and run it, see if it improves after a tank of fuel, or so. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By redneckred
      I have a 2012 Bennche Bighorn 700X.  I bought it used.  It had been sitting in a field for several years untouched.  I put a new sun gear in the shifter, new shifter linkage due to the old one having been patched, and a new battery (and of course fresh fuel).  The machine cranked and ran beautifully.  I had it over a year and then the machine quit running.  As it would not stay cranked, I narrowed the problem down to a bad IAC valve.  I replaced it and it ran as good as new/old.  Fast forward, the machine started to act like reverse wasn't catching and would not always back up when in gear.  Then forward quit.  I assumed a bad CVT belt and got one.  Started removing the bolts from the cover and (3) just turn in the housing without coming loose.  (2) are on the bottom, so very little room to do anything with them.  I tried cranking the machine again to see the belt move since I can move the cover enough to see the belt and now the machine will not crank.  It turns over fine.  It gets gas to the injector and has spark.  I can spray cleaner down her throat and she would run until it ran out.  I have replaced the IAC twice and put a new injector with no change.  I went out and put the old injector back in to see if that made any difference and, well, it did.  I tried to crank the machine and the starter is stuck trying to turn the machine over even with the key off.  I have to disconnect the battery to stop it.  Before I shoot this thing, what am I missing?  Is this an ECM problem or something else I am not seeing?  Been dealing with these Gremlins for over a month now and weeds are starting to overtake the motor due to it not moving.  I would love to get the thing running first and any ideas of getting those CVT cover bolts out would be extremely helpful.  Thanks in advance.
    • By fishhouse3
      FOR SALE: 2021 CFMOTO ZForce 800 Trail with many extras and full warranty until 2027. Only 625 miles and 50 hours of use.
      In great condition, has a clean title and one adult owner. Has had all scheduled regular maintenance and has not been abused. Only used about six times on weekend trips to Hatfield-McCoy trails in WV.
      Under full CFMOTO Care bumper-to-bumper extended warranty until 8/2027 (paid $1,600). Full service and tune up just completed with new clutch, drive shaft, belt, rollers, etc (paid $1500). Plus it comes with over $3,500 in upgrades and accessories! Way too many included items to list here (see last pics for full details).
      This machine is ready to go and needs nothing - just hop in and hit the trails!  I have over $20k invested in this machine. Priced VERY fair to sell quick at less than half that!!!
      $9,999 WITHOUT warranty -OR- $10,999 WITH full extended warranty until 8/2027.
      Located in Chesterfield, VA 23832. Message me for more pics and info!

• By Callie
      We have replaced the relay/fuse, water pump, fan & radiator cap. What are we missing? Fan still won't kick on.
    • By Kingfish
      The conversion took about 350lbs. off the vehicle.  It never rode great, but now I feel every  crack in the road.  I have backed off spring compression nut to the point just under where they would move around if suspension was at full extension, but it is still very stiff.  I would like to put some softer coilover springs on it, but I have no idea what the spring rate is with the original springs so I would just be guessing on what to order.  Does anyone have the data for the original spring compression rate?  I am willing to give up a little ground clearance for a softer ride. Right now when sitting still the rear suspension is at or near full extension and the rear tires have several degrees of camber which will cause uneven wear if allowed to continue in this state.
    • By Brett
      Fuel injected 700 starts great and idles great but touch the gas and it dies