Quantcast

2021 Massimo T-Boss 550F trouble changing gears, also looking for other advice

I Recently purchased a Massimo T-Boss 550F last fall with their 60" snow thrower because I couldn't find a decent UTV here in Southern Ontario; nothing in stock anywhere. I am having really bad buyer's remorse after spending time on it and reading all the bad online reviews. The company boasts the fact that it is built in Texas, USA, so I was hoping to do the right thing by buying, "Made In North America" but it is still Chinese Junk, assembled in the USA. and I am starting to realize that I am going to have a lot of difficulty getting parts for this thing; I can't even get an oil filter, finally bought a "Hisun" filter and hope it fits. i busted the shear pins in the snow thrower and can't find replacements for that either. The thing is so hard to change gears most of the time; I am terrified I am going to wreck something. The place I purchased it from is absolutely useless. Can I adjust something myself? Anyone out there have this problem and have some advice (besides selling it and buying a good brand)?

First, you can get the oil filter from Massimo (they are on eBay too) or from Amazon  : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNRJ7VM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as changing gears, don't shift while moving - they aren't made that way.  I also found my fluid levels were low off the showroom floor, but if you purchased last fall you would be past the break-in period and need to change fluids by now.  When I did this after 20 hrs there were ALOT of shavings in the differential fluid that was drained out.  Ended up with one in my finger too, so wear gloves.  For differential fluid I went with Lucas.

Another trick on changing gears if it is resisting, continue in the direction you were going just a bit, stop and shift again.

Thanks TapBoss. I ended up buying oil filters on Amazon but like in the post you sent and the one I purchased they say they are for Hisun and compatible with others, Massimo is one of them; so they are no-name aftermarket.  And for some reason Massimo will not ship parts to Canada. 

As for changing gears, I always come to a full stop to switch gears. I also put it in Neutral when I switch between 2WD and 4WD and lock/unlock differential. Actually, that is what I have been doing, "continue in the direction I was going just a bit, stop and shift again." I just hope the time doesn't come when I am up against a wall or cliff and have to, "continue in the direction I was going just a bit, stop and shift again."

I don't like the fact that you found a lot of shavings in the differential fluid.

Oh, I forgot to mention; I used the winch twice before it went for a sh#%. And of course those aren't under warranty.  I replaced it with a low budget one from a local automotive parts store and it has been good ever since.

Is it just me or there something is wrong with this picture.

I have a lot of work to do on my property next spring, hope this thing can keep up.

I've used my winch several times, had  quite a few dead trees fall across trails at our hunting property that I removed.  I've also pulled our finishing mower/brush hog cutting food plots as well as taking on some pretty tough trails at a nearby atv park.  Hauled out a pretty good 9 point in the bed too!  

There have been a couple times it didn't start on the first turn after sitting for a week, but other than that mine has been a beast.  Probably wouldn't hurt to go over nuts&bolts and connectors to make sure everything is secure.  I bought mine from a Farm & Home store and they did a pretty good job of assembly.  

The shifting issue with yours may also be an  assembly problem - the shift cables my need to be adjusted.  Not sure how that is done as the manual does not cover that,  

Thanks, unfortunately my barn is not heated and we are in a deep freeze up here (I am just on the other side of the border from Buffalo, NY). If it ever warms up a bit I will be out there tinkering. I am sure I can figure it out. I see in one of your other posts that your recommended calling tech support for a walk through; I will try that too.

calling TECH Support is a waste of time at MASSIMO... they simply dont care .. Truly the worst company ever.  As stated, you must not be moving to change gears or 4wd..if it is stubborn, turn off engine, shift as needed , depress brake pedal and restart in gear. As for winch, thats probably the only thing that has been trouble free on mine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well , it might be a shame, but nothing is manufactured in the US these days so complaining it's Chinese is a waste of time because EVERYTHING is Chinese and you can thank the US government for that. It's simply impossible for anything significant to be made in the US due to EPA, FDA,, OSHA regulations, lability insurance, lawsuits etc., etc. . Your $10k UTV would cost around $30k if made in the USA.

2nd, try calling Polaris tech support.  I can guarantee you won't find a live human being to talk to.   Parts? good luck. The Polaris and Honda dealers don't even have a UTV on the showroom floor and no idea when vehicles or parts will be available. So you can spend your $18k (plus $2k for a windshield and a winch)  and get a Honda (in 3 or 4 months) and it will be a bit more reliable, but it will still be assembled from parts made in the same Chinese factories that Massimo and etc. etc. are made in.  And yeah, the Honda dealer will work on it for you (but he won't work on your Polaris) , but you better be walking in with $100s hanging out of your pockets because you ain't getting out of there for less than a $250 oil change.  Consider these things when you vote in November. 

Really? I could not disagree more! If you seriously think a HISUN engine in a Massimo is exactly the same quality as a HONDA engine..you must be brand new to UTVs  And my local Honda dealer handles  all warranty without fail.. I have bought 4 ATVs from them.. Have yet to pay a dime  .  Massimo has never paid for  a warranty claim in 12 years of selling  them.. BTW  Hondas are manufactured in the  US. Only the engines/transmissions are imported.. From JAPAN , not China .. So I just dont see how you can say what you did?

15 hours ago, Joe Breaux said:

Really? I could not disagree more! If you seriously think a HISUN engine in a Massimo is exactly the same quality as a HONDA engine..you must be brand new to UTVs  And my local Honda dealer handles  all warranty without fail.. I have bought 4 ATVs from them.. Have yet to pay a dime  .  Massimo has never paid for  a warranty claim in 12 years of selling  them.. BTW  Hondas are manufactured in the  US. Only the engines/transmissions are imported.. From JAPAN , not China .. So I just dont see how you can say what you did?

I seriously never said that, read it again. I said the parts are made in the same factories in China and that is very likely true,  Honda, just like Massimo and most others has assembly plants in the US (because otherwise they would have to pay major import fees for importing complete cars, ATV, etc.), but most parts are not manufactured in the US. Honda does have superior quality control and engineering, but you do pay for it. I don't see how the Honda dealers( I visited just 2 weeks ago)  in the 100 mile radius here have nothing in stock and little idea when they can get anything and your local dealer happens to have everything.  Must be a major Honda logistics snafu somewhere if that's the case. 

On 2/3/2022 at 5:29 PM, Bill Hughes said:

good luck. The Polaris and Honda dealers don't even have a UTV on the showroom floor and no idea when vehicles or parts will be available. So you can spend your $18k (plus $2k for a windshield and a winch)  and get a Honda (in 3 or 4 months) 

I started thinking about that, so Looked on My Honda/Kawasaki  dealer's Inventory... it  said they have 192 various units in stock , ATVs UTVs and MCs ... Even our local Lawnmower shop has2 Kawasaki UTVs  and 3 KYMCOs.    Seems odd since EVERYONE here has at least two ORVs .  I have 5.   You would think they would be sold out? Why do you think  there are none to be found in your area?  Do they just not sell that many  there normally and they just had no inventory before COVID? ? 

2 hours ago, Joe Breaux said:

I started thinking about that, so Looked on My Honda/Kawasaki  dealer's Inventory... it  said they have 192 various units in stock , ATVs UTVs and MCs ... Even our local Lawnmower shop has2 Kawasaki UTVs  and 3 KYMCOs.    Seems odd since EVERYONE here has at least two ORVs .  I have 5.   You would think they would be sold out? Why do you think  there are none to be found in your area?  Do they just not sell that many  there normally and they just had no inventory before COVID? ? 

Well tell them to send a few to the Washington DC. area. The two Honda dealers here have NOTHING in stock and nothing on the showroom floor and a total of  three UTVs coming sometime in the next 3 months, all sold already. No idea when more are coming, but you can place an order to be filled at some TBD time from now, if you pay the deposit plus a $1500 surcharge on top of full retail. What a deal !!!! They did give me a nice brochure though and said if they ever get a vehicle, it'll be the base and I can order options like a windshield and a cover which might arrive in 4 to 5 months.  I passed. 

Your dealer must have cornered the entire Honda North American allotment . Post his address and I'll send over a some Canadian truckers to liberate some of those vehicles. 

Hey Joy, if this is true there is a serious logistics problems in these companies. I searched last summer and fall and no dealers had any inventory of quality brand utvs, but they did have some atvs. To get a utv I would have had to pre order for sometime this year..

Oh, about the truckers, it's about time someone stood up against our communist state. I don't think it is helping though, they need to oust the leaders for any change to happen; ship Biden and Trudeau to a secluded island together. They need to be on opposite sides of the island though to keep that social distance, especially since both Justin and his wife have and have had COVID.

1 hour ago, Steve Vanvelzen said:

Hey Joy, if this is true there is a serious logistics problems in these companies. I searched last summer and fall and no dealers had any inventory of quality brand utvs, but they did have some atvs. To get a utv I would have had to pre order for sometime this year..

Oh, about the truckers, it's about time someone stood up against our communist state. I don't think it is helping though, they need to oust the leaders for any change to happen; ship Biden and Trudeau to a secluded island together. They need to be on opposite sides of the island though to keep that social distance, especially since both Justin and his wife have and have had COVID.

They have Covid?  That cant be , he wears a t-shirt material mask. NO VIRUS can penetrate a T-shirt.. Just ask Dr Falsie .. lol  You know, I cant find a single person that admits they voted for the Presidential Vegetable in WH.. Does anyone believe that potted plant actually got 80 million votes?  Really? 16 million more than Obama?  Only fools think he is legitimate ............................BTW just looked at 2 other dealers  not too far away, they both have plenty ATVs  and some UTVS.. HONDA, and POLARIS .. mostly the  1000cc $20K versions... How far are you from Mississippi or Louisiana?  It must be because they had huge inventories already..  The Dealer I bought my last Honda ATV  from said they sold 30-50  new units per month. That was pre-covid .   Everyone claims there are no new trucks on lots too. Yet before Christmas, I went to our RAM dealer and drove home in a  brand spanking new  Ram Crewcab  Bighorn   in about an hour.. and got a huge trade in for my 2017 Ram.. Ya just gotta look. 

On 1/23/2022 at 4:40 PM, Steve Vanvelzen said:

Looks like we need to come here for all of our tech support.

Thanks Joe

Use the support case tool on the Massimo website. I have had excellent support the past two weeks from them including a warranty replacement of the  entire windshield and a couple other parts. Entered a case and they called next day 

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2022 at 10:01 AM, TapBoss said:

First, you can get the oil filter from Massimo (they are on eBay too) or from Amazon  : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DNRJ7VM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as changing gears, don't shift while moving - they aren't made that way.  I also found my fluid levels were low off the showroom floor, but if you purchased last fall you would be past the break-in period and need to change fluids by now.  When I did this after 20 hrs there were ALOT of shavings in the differential fluid that was drained out.  Ended up with one in my finger too, so wear gloves.  For differential fluid I went with Lucas.

Another trick on changing gears if it is resisting, continue in the direction you were going just a bit, stop and shift again.

there's some confusion in the owners manual , in one place change the break in oil at 20 hrs, in another paragraph it says 20hrs or 1 month which ever comes first,  so which is correct? I'm at 12.5 hrs but 5 months, sometimes hard to shift, I also go alittle reverse direction to free it

42 minutes ago, Joe Breaux said:

most say 20-25 hours or 1 year.. not 1 month unless you never turn it off!    MAKE sure you use an oil approved for wet clutch........ DO NOT use automotive synthetic oil or your clutch will be toast 

most likely translation error, I have the massimo wet clutch  oil

• Like 1