Quantcast

Axis 500, Trailer Hitch Adapter?

First time posting on this forum so be gentle LOL! 

I've used the SEARCH function but can't seem to find this topic.

I have a new AXIS (Lowes) 500 SxS. It didn't come with the slide in Hitch Adatper (See pictured below) so I can't connect any of my existing components to this unit. The fact that they use a retainer that goes Up and Down instead of the standard left to right means I can't use standard "Reese Hitch" type slide in. Where can I get this component? I've contacted LOWES and they gave me a phone # to AXIS and I've called AXIS 3x, emailed 2x, and left 3 Facebook messages since February and I have gotten ZERO help.

Any ideas?

TrailerHitchLOWES.jpg

Edited by BigAl07
missing image file

On 4/22/2022 at 10:23 PM, kenfain said:

Welcome to the forum!

And I'm not seeing a picture. If all else fails, then you could probably have something fabricated. 

I guess I didn't get the original image attached but I've now gone back and added it.  That item is what I was looking for but can not find it anywhere.

So I went back to Lowe's and explained (again) that some type of Trailer Hitch Adapter was supposed to come with my UTV when I purchased it. I finally said that it's useless without this component (for me) and I was going to bring the unit back for a refund. At the point the sales associate was able to "mysteriously" make the adapter appear which means the next person isn't going to have one now.

It's crazy how they are using a 2" ID tube which requires an adapter that has a solid tube welded that a 2" tube will slide over. I was able to cut 1/2" off of an existing 2" receiver tube and it slides over the smaller tube perfectly and allows me to add a trailer ball or anything else. Seems like a lot of work when they could have used more "standard" types of mounting and done away with these adapters etc.

I'm going to attach images of this "adapter" and also an image of a 2" solid shackle hitch receiver that is drilled BOTH ways so it works perfectly for pulling trees etc. And I'm able to attach my existing lawn equipment (aerator, spreaders, dump trailer, grass sweep) with no issues what so ever. If anyone is looking for the Shackle Option here's a link (not an affiliate link or anything like that)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B079FNGH9J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Axis_Adapter.jpg

TrailerHitchAMAZON.jpg

Yeah, I suppose that an adapter works just fine. But I prefer a straight up one size fits all, with nothing extra to keep up with, and less stuff to rattle. 

Mine came with a heavy duty 1 1/4 receiver. While it is well designed,  it doesn't seem to be well thought out. Because it seems that mostly sailboats and recreational stuff like that are the only thing that uses that size. The designers just looked at the weight specs vs. the machine's capabilities.

And just that little difference between the 2" and the 1 1/4, in things that use the receiver, used to be an ever present annoyance. 

Over the years, as I've adapted each item, or otherwise fabricated a workaround. I've often wished that I'd changed that over to 2". 

I have a 14 ft Boston whaler that I pull with my Axis 500 and am able to launch it in a small lake behind my house. My Axis had an adaptor but as someone mentioned before is useless.  This adaptor, which I found at Harbor Freight, fits the socket but I had to drill a hole in the top (90 degrees) from the existing hole to lock it in:  https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/trailers-towing/hitches-receivers/ball-mount-hitch-with-2-inch-drop-94902.html

I also had to adjust my tongue weight on the boat trailer based on the Axis hitch specs limit. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Brent said:

I have a 14 ft Boston whaler that I pull with my Axis 500 and am able to launch it in a small lake behind my house. My Axis had an adaptor but as someone mentioned before is useless.  This adaptor, which I found at Harbor Freight, fits the socket but I had to drill a hole in the top (90 degrees) from the existing hole to lock it in:  https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/trailers-towing/hitches-receivers/ball-mount-hitch-with-2-inch-drop-94902.html

I also had to adjust my tongue weight on the boat trailer based on the Axis hitch specs limit. Hope this helps.

That's exactly what I'm using now as well. 

Thanks for the input and the link. Much appreciated :)