Quantcast

ruesch95

Dual batteries ?

Any one done this? I want to add another one for my lights and the radio.

I was looking at getting a battery isolator from Checker auto for like $35. Will this work?

Any one done this? I want to add another one for my lights and the radio.

I was looking at getting a battery isolator from Checker auto for like $35. Will this work?

Yes it will work, but depending on where the alternator regulator picks up it's sensed voltage, which is probably internal, the isolator (assuming it is solid state) will cost you about .7 to 1.2 volt depending on load. Another method would be to use 2 relays that get their pull in power from the the alternator, One heard of one disadvantage to relays and that was when one battery is dead, you start for a short time and turn off, during that time the dead battery sucked most of the life out of the good one. Only heard of this once.

With the recent development of the schottky diode, that would be the way to go. It only has a forward voltage drop of about .3 to .5, very acceptable.

kinarfi

PS, If you want to make your own for around $10, PM me.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/94246/94246.pdf just under $3 each, you'll need 2 and chunk of aluminum to mount them to.

Yes it will work, but depending on where the alternator regulator picks up it's sensed voltage, which is probably internal, the isolator (assuming it is solid state) will cost you about .7 to 1.2 volt depending on load. Another method would be to use 2 relays that get their pull in power from the the alternator, One heard of one disadvantage to relays and that was when one battery is dead, you start for a short time and turn off, during that time the dead battery sucked most of the life out of the good one. Only heard of this once.

With the recent development of the schottky diode, that would be the way to go. It only has a forward voltage drop of about .3 to .5, very acceptable.

kinarfi

PS, If you want to make your own for around $10, PM me.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/94246/94246.pdf just under $3 each, you'll need 2 and chunk of aluminum to mount them to.

Thanks for all of the info Kinarfi! Once I get ready too do it, I'll let you know. But I got a lot bigger issue to deal with now.

........ - UTV BOARD - Side X Side and UTV Forum

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Pug battery post melted

I noticed the battery post was melted when the pug wouldn't start... With the pug off, just placing the cable back onto the battery creates tremendous Heat with in 5 seconds or so... I had just taken off all the connections and clean them with a wire brush just a few months back...Including battery cables and wires for the starter solenoid.  Could this only be a short or bad connection or is there something else?..could the cells of the battery be doing this or maybe the rectifier/regulator? The rectifier from visual inspection doesn't seem to be melted or discolored!

By Doc Holland, in UTV General Discussion

• 1 reply
    • Second Battery

I am installing a second battery in my 07 Prowler. How do I wire it up so the stereo doesn't drain the main battery, but the second battery can still charge

By Blaze379, in Arctic Cat UTV SxS Forum

• 4 replies
    • Tired of battery woes....

After replacing the cigar box sized battery in my Mule for two years in a row (at a cost of about $80 per trip), I decided to mount a deep cycle group 24 behind the front seat. Bought a sturdy battery holder, a couple of 32" cables and voila!....no more battery blues I usually get about three years out of one of these.  Also installed a 2 amp trickle charger. Me so happy.

By reeltexan, in Kawasaki UTV SxS Forum

• 2 replies
    • battery replacement Q link 500

How do I remove the old battery so that I can replace it .? without taking to dealer and pay a small fortune . on my Q link 500 / 

By Harold G. Bender, in UTV General Discussion

• 0 replies
    • Cub Cadet Diesel UTV key on no lights and wont start

New here!  I have a 2003 Cub Cadet Volunteer Diesel ran everyday 1 day fine nothing the next. anyone had this problem? when I turn on the key not even the lights will come on. I took the switch apart it seems fine put it back in. checked the 2 blowout fuses are also fine (even tried new ones), switched the 3 relays around they seem fine to hate to have to take it in an get wallet raped someone must have had this problem before any help would be greatly appreciated!

By uponahill, in Cub Cadet UTV SxS Forum

• 50 replies