Quantcast

TAIL LIGHT REPLACEMENT

Greetings from the White Mountains,

Earlier I posted an offer of old style tail light lenses. Since then I've moved for the summer and they are a couple hundred miles away so I should have taken the offer off the board.

The reason I had them is I replaced my tail lights and turn signals do avoid the problems of finding lenses when I back into something. Here's what I came up with. This arrangement is MUCH brighter than the stock lights that were on my T2. The LEDs are the way to go.

As usual Harbor Freight had the lights at a reasonable price. Installing them was a simple matter of putting a flat piece where the old light s were and mounting the new lights to the new plate. It was then a matter of chasing down the wires to complete the task.

Gumball

post-221-127326174526_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I changed my tail lights also, but did it a little differently, I disassembled the stock light, pulled and cleaned all the accumulated dirt out of the back up lens after separating them from the rest, hack sawed both ends off one of the frames leaving the screw holes plus about 1/2 inch, Painted the inside white and the front of back up bulb holder, siliconed the lens to the painted frame and cut some metal out of the rest of the frame to close the hole under the lens and siliconed it in place mounted it back where it was, painted the area outside light black. Bought (2) 6" Red Oval Sealed LED STT Stop Turn Tail Lights

by Optronics Price: $27.29 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQPK4M/ref=oss_product and mounted them and then figured out how to make them work like the old system where the brake light blinks when you turn on the signal so you don't have to have the amber light.

Take a look at the video.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3006067530104282158MVvWow

If anyone wants to do the same, I'll gladly provide the schematic or even build the circuit for a nominal fee.

Kinarfi

Schematic 2327266510104282158cGNnfL_th.jpg

I changed my tail lights also, but did it a little differently, I disassembled the stock light, pulled and cleaned all the accumulated dirt out of the back up lens after separating them from the rest, hack sawed both ends off one of the frames leaving the screw holes plus about 1/2 inch, Painted the inside white and the front of back up bulb holder, siliconed the lens to the painted frame and cut some metal out of the rest of the frame to close the hole under the lens and siliconed it in place mounted it back where it was, painted the area outside light black. Bought (2) 6" Red Oval Sealed LED STT Stop Turn Tail Lights

by Optronics Price: $27.29 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQPK4M/ref=oss_product and mounted them and then figured out how to make them work like the old system where the brake light blinks when you turn on the signal so you don't have to have the amber light.

Take a look at the video.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3006067530104282158MVvWow

If anyone wants to do the same, I'll gladly provide the schematic or even build the circuit for a nominal fee.

Kinarfi

Schematic 2327266510104282158cGNnfL_th.jpg

Here is an alternative design for a combined stop and signal, a smaller package, and PNP transistors are more readily available. Current needs to be limited to about 300 ma, but the LED lights only draw about 250 ma. Bench tested for about an hour, seems fine.

2260509590104282158qLkOxS_th.jpg

Kinarfi