Quantcast

t2 issues

Petersen

My dad just purchased a used T2 and it has issues. It overheats quickly (went around the block twice)... Not sure if it is the thermostat or pump. Is the thermostat a part that can be picked up at an auto parts store, or do I need to order one from JMC? Also, when in two wheel drive, it does a clanging and banging routine. If I lock the rear differential in 2wd it does not. I assume this is what I have read about regarding the differentials. If you could give me some direction I would appreciate it. Thanks. Tyler

My dad just purchased a used T2 and it has issues. It overheats quickly (went around the block twice)... Not sure if it is the thermostat or pump. Is the thermostat a part that can be picked up at an auto parts store, or do I need to order one from JMC? Also, when in two wheel drive, it does a clanging and banging routine. If I lock the rear differential in 2wd it does not. I assume this is what I have read about regarding the differentials. If you could give me some direction I would appreciate it. Thanks. Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Welcome to the forum, have you read the threads about the diff and the upgrades, what year is your trooper? How familiar are you with it's operation, was the fan running? Are you pretty good with mechanics?

Also, would you mind filling out you profile so we can all get to know you better, who know, maybe one of us lives just around the corner from you, or the next town.

Kinarfi

Hi Tyler,

Welcome to the forum, have you read the threads about the diff and the upgrades, what year is your trooper? How familiar are you with it's operation, was the fan running? Are you pretty good with mechanics?

Also, would you mind filling out you profile so we can all get to know you better, who know, maybe one of us lives just around the corner from you, or the next town.

Kinarfi

I updated some of the profile information. I live in Caliente, NV, but my dad and the trooper are in vegas. It is a 2008. I am learning the mechanics when I need to fix something. I haven't dug into a differential yet so all the pics and posts regarding them are a little overwhelming. I am sure when I pull it apart with my dad and friends it will make more sense. My dad bought it in vegas and a water pump was, and still is, on order with JMC. I guess they are backordered. We were thinking it may be the thermostat. No water is leaking around the pump. Wondering if the thermostat might be stuck ???

The fan does work. It has its own switch on the console so you can run it at all times. It was purchased from Bryan Wright. I think he might be friends with some of you on this forum.. Thanks again.

Since you have a '08 for the clanging and banging routine I would check the rear diff mounts. On the '08 the brace will be round and will break. Later the changed the brace to rectangle tubing. Or the locker is adjusted so the locker is completely releasing. For the heating, is the rad fan working? You should hear it when you first turn the key on and before you hit the starter. Also if you are maintaining high RPMs it will heat if you don't do some mods.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

Since you have a '08 for the clanging and banging routine I would check the rear diff mounts. On the '08 the brace will be round and will break. Later the changed the brace to rectangle tubing. Or the locker is adjusted so the locker is completely releasing. For the heating, is the rad fan working? You should hear it when you first turn the key on and before you hit the starter. Also if you are maintaining high RPMs it will heat if you don't do some mods.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

The fan does work. I just drove it around the block without going fast. 15-20 mph at the most... I it got hot enough for the gauge to be max. The overflow filled up a bit as well.

The braces on the bottom of the rear diff look like a couple heavy duty pieces of flat iron welded to the frame.. A long bolt goes through the diff housing and the flat iron on each side. It is also attached at the back of the housing to the frame. I will look through my manual about the locker completely releasing. Thanks.

The engine has been durable, not the weak link. Not a Hot Rod engine but dependable. Some of the connectors & sensors have not bee as good quality.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

it is getting HOT. Not just the gauge. After I let it sit a while I could still not remove the radiator cap without fluid bloin out. It is bright green so I assume good. It looks like straight coolant. Even when I moved it from the driveway to the garage it started to heat up again after only being at slow idle for 3 or 4 minutes.

Make sure the belt is on correct rotating the water pump. Make sure the vent tube on the purge tank is clear. Try taking off the rad cap and then start the engine. Does air/smoke come out? Is the coolant moving? Be Careful! After that I would pull the thermostat and replace with one of the new ones that when they fail, they fail open. The old ones failed closed and caused the engine to overheat. After that a pressure test of the coolant system and compression test to check the head gasket.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

Hi I have a couple of 2008 with heating problems. I found that the fans were running backwards from what I believe is correct. I changed both of them to flow out the back of the Trooper instead of sucking air towards the engine. I also spaced the fan out about 3/4 of a inch. which changed the amount of air flow about ten times the original amount. I use a water wetter with a 50% antifreeze mixture. One other problem is they will air lock. To get all the air out of the system you need to disconnect the small water line (about 1/4 inch) that starts around the thermostat housing and goes into a T with two larger hoses, drivers side. You need to remove the hose at the T and hold it in the air above the motor while holding your finger over the hose barb to keep the coolant in. Now you need to get some one to top off the rad. This sounds like your biggest problem to me. I changed the Plastic T at the front of the engine by the water pump and had problems heating up until I got the air out of the system. It only takes a small about of water extra but it really works. My trooper would heat running at a idle until I did this. The reason for changing the plastic T was they were breaking and Joyner gave me the new steel ones for free. The problem is that no one was telling me about upgrades, my dealer always said he new nothing about them and they were not having any problems with anything. I guess I picked the wrong dealer. I also put a oil cooler and a manual guage on one of the troopers but later found out the manual guage was reading about 25 degrees too hot. I do not think I needed the oil cooler for the way I use my machine but with the bad temp guage I was willing to try anything. If you try the tips I left you at the top I think your problem will go away.

Guest Lenny

How about parking on a 30 degree or so down slop at a slight side angle to put the rad cap well to the high side. If topped off this way, would this get the air out do you think? I changed my oil pan to a custom aluminum one that holds 9 quarts. My oil pressure now holds much better even when it gets hot. I also run 15w50 Mobile 1 synthetic for a slightly higher overall viscosity especially being that I ride a lot in the hot desert type climate.

Lenny

• 3 weeks later...

All the sudden my T2 started overheating driving down a dirt road close to home. Fan was working and everything looked fine. I grabed my air compressor and started blowing it on the front side of the radiator, it looked clean not clogged with mud or anything like that however, I was shocked at how much dirts blew out of the fins!!! This fixed everything, no more

over heating!!! so even if the radiator looks clean the fins could simply be clogged with dust and dirt deep inside.

Hi I have a couple of 2008 with heating problems. I found that the fans were running backwards from what I believe is correct. I changed both of them to flow out the back of the Trooper instead of sucking air towards the engine. I also spaced the fan out about 3/4 of a inch. which changed the amount of air flow about ten times the original amount. I use a water wetter with a 50% antifreeze mixture. One other problem is they will air lock. To get all the air out of the system you need to disconnect the small water line (about 1/4 inch) that starts around the thermostat housing and goes into a T with two larger hoses, drivers side. You need to remove the hose at the T and hold it in the air above the motor while holding your finger over the hose barb to keep the coolant in. Now you need to get some one to top off the rad. This sounds like your biggest problem to me. I changed the Plastic T at the front of the engine by the water pump and had problems heating up until I got the air out of the system. It only takes a small about of water extra but it really works. My trooper would heat running at a idle until I did this. The reason for changing the plastic T was they were breaking and Joyner gave me the new steel ones for free. The problem is that no one was telling me about upgrades, my dealer always said he new nothing about them and they were not having any problems with anything. I guess I picked the wrong dealer. I also put a oil cooler and a manual guage on one of the troopers but later found out the manual guage was reading about 25 degrees too hot. I do not think I needed the oil cooler for the way I use my machine but with the bad temp guage I was willing to try anything. If you try the tips I left you at the top I think your problem will go away.

Snowbird was right! I am at my dad's house and played with the machine a little bit. It was air locked. I took it for a spin around the block and no issues with overheating. Thanks!

Now I have to get the driveline issue figured out. It seems like the rear differential to me and also the clutch needs to be adjusted or replaced.