Quantcast

Tightening your Heims joints

Guest Lenny

Guest Lenny

Lenny, would it be better to replace with some good quality helm joints?

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

These heims joints are not that bad. They are actually pretty good. They have a good outside housing and a bronze bushing. The only problem is that they probably didn't have good quality control on pressing the bronze bushing when made leaving some of them not real tight. However if they were replaced with larger ones that would be better but this is free and it works.

Lenny

• 1 year later...

Mine was so tight that they sqeeked and was very annoying...So I pulled the Heims out turned the eye ball sideways and put some grease on them and wiggled the heck out of them...Go figure it rides so much nicer now......I also did the A arms bolt upgrade works out great with the 14mm bolb but I had too put the ball joint into place then run a Die grinder to cut the stem back alittle to get the bolt in...I did it on all 4 so i'm guessing it was not me...LOL I also did the Ball joint rubber replaemnet while I was there...Dormans fit perfect like someone else said that I can't find now....LOL Oh well...Hopefully take it out tonight for a while to climb the hill that kept kicking my ass a few weeks ago!

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTGY/HR

I replaced all of my heims joints including the tie rod ones which are smaller and use a needle style zert fitting. All of the other heims joints have the regular standard zert fitting. Mine were squeaking all the time and once I replaced them all - no more squeaking and I can grease after every outing if need be. I tried the rubber boot covers but they kept binding up and tearing so I don't and can't use them. Lenny was able to get them to work on his and I got the idea from him at the jamboree but no luck on mine. Either way they do get dirtier now but I can wipe off and just grease again. See link above. The ones we use are all right hand thread and16mm for all the larger ones and 12mm for the tie rods. POS16 and POS12 are the part numbers. Not too expensive either and well worth getting rid of that damn squeaking!

• Like 1

Guest Lenny

The boots are nice if you can get them to work ok. I did a little extra maching to help mine work. Initially I covered them with pipe insulation which actually worked quite well in sheilding the joints while keeping the greese in so they stayed lubercated. That is what Kinarfi is going to do as he stated above. If you have greese fittings, the main thing is to be sure to regularly greese the joints to drive out any dirt that is trying to work itself in. With a quality joint, greesing them should make them out live the Trooper. I've heard of 12,000km to 13,000km so the next stop is 20,000km. That should be no problem.

Lenny

Guest Lenny

Thank You! That is the info I needed.........Hey how are you doing the install? Are you cutting off where ours are welded and threading the insides?

Read this post. http://www.utvboard.com/topic/2351-replacing-a-arm-heims-joints/page__hl__%2Bheims+%2Bjoints__fromsearch__1

This what I ended up doing to mine. I consider this a final solution but it does take extra effort.

Lenny