Quantcast

Changed radiator to larger one

Lenny

I changed my radiator to a larger one and it really helped. Especially with my supercharger helping to build more heat, just moving the fan farther away from the radiator wasn't enough. Took it out today in 105 degree weather and it never got over about 196 degrees and stayed there real steady no matter how I drove it. That tells me that now it is being completely controlled by the thermostat and not the size of the radiator. I bought a radiator off ebay for $70 plus $20 shipping. See add at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120599393194&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT titled "Aluminum Radiator Acura Integra 94-01 95 97 99 GSR LS" Overall size 27"x17.5"x2". To this I added a 16" 3000cfm fan also from Ebay for $80 plus $12 shipping, see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380252905142&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT titled " 16" 3000CFM HD Reversible Electric Radiator Fan w Relay" You will see in the pics that I welded a 1/8" thick sidewall rim around one side of the radiator. To this I rivited a fan shroud made from a 16ga aluminum sheet. Also I moved the radiator back to set up against the two verticle frame members allowing the fan to be mounted ahead of the radiator letting it push air through the radiator for more evenly distributed air flow. Everything fit in real nice. You will also notice that I removed the plastic cover over the cylinder head. Last thing I need is a closed dead air space to insulate the head from staying cooler.

2907518350104282158ujkSVx_th.jpg, 2690371320104282158MdSASW_th.jpg, 2990867510104282158FwxmVL_th.jpg, 2764314830104282158MwMgRC_th.jpg

Lenny

Lenny, a couple of things.

One is I never have liked how small the fins are between the tubes of the factory radiator. I feel a stock size radiator with larger fins would be better even tho that would require fewer tubes. So maybe a re-core of the stock radiator as a option? Opinion!

Second, Is the new radiator vertical flow instead of cross flow? My understanding is that cross-flow is better.

I do like the improvements! When are you going to hold a class in welding alum? What kind of welder do you have? Top plastic cover on the head is coming off of mine.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

Lenny, a couple of things.

One is I never have liked how small the fins are between the tubes of the factory radiator. I feel a stock size radiator with larger fins would be better even tho that would require fewer tubes. So maybe a re-core of the stock radiator as a option? Opinion!

Second, Is the new radiator vertical flow instead of cross flow? My understanding is that cross-flow is better.

I do like the improvements! When are you going to hold a class in welding alum? What kind of welder do you have? Top plastic cover on the head is coming off of mine.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

I really don't know if horizontal tubes would cool better. When I think about it, I can't come up with any physics that say it would improve cooling except if the water pump were not big enough to fill the top tank of the radiator all the way across and the coolant was not getting all the way across the top of the vertical tubes. Horizontal tubes would flow with out the help of gravity and thus lesser pump flow might fill up more of the tubes. My new rad is vertical. I don't think a recore would make any real differance. I use a Miller 300ABP tig welder. It's about 35 years old, Bought it new. I did have to completely disassemble and clean it a few years back because of dust buildup over the years. With the heavy dust buildup, the high frequency was bleeding off and I couldn't weld aluminum without it contaminating. When welding aluminum, you need to slow down and give the material a chance to warm up, you should have a shinny puddle on each side of the joint before adding filler. Also make sure it is clean and fresh bear aluminum. I always sand the surface with a small air 3" disk sander before welding. Snowbird sujested using an aluminum acid. He said it helped a whole bunch and he is a welder by trade.

Lenny

• 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By johnpeter
      2017 Polaris Ranger XP900 cab with heat On Ebay
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/165883140901?

• By Emilios garage
      Just bought a new Sector 750. It's slightly better looking and equipped than the Axis 700 models they sell at Lowes or the RK and other versions but there's very little difference in the frame and drive train. Seems to be a good machine to use around the farm and riding around the neighborhood. If you own any of these Hisun made machines, you may have similar issues. After driving this around on some country roads doing some break in riding, an extraordinary amount of radiant heat was emitting out from behind the seat and under the dump bed. The engine temp was showing normal on the gauge. The source of the extreme heat was mainly the muffler, and it was even hot enough to soften the plastic underside of the dump bed. You could smell the plastic was almost at that melting temp.  I've never seen anything like this on any brand of machine. This could possibly qualify for a safety recall. Back at the shop afterwards to study the situation revealed some suspected bad exhaust designs to be the main cause. The pipe going into the muffler from the engine is 1 3/4 inch in size. The pipe coming out of the muffler is 3/4 inch. A one inch difference! That's a lot of very hot gases going in through a large opening, compressing inside the chambers of that muffler, and trying to get out through a much smaller hole. Simple science will tell you that even cool air when compressed gets hot. Science has also shown that hot air flows faster than cool air. This muffler by design is causing already hot gasses emitted from the engine to be accumulating, compressing and therefore amplifying that temperature to far greater temps than what the engine itself was emitting. I'm sure all that back pressure is also causing the engine to labor some too and wasting HP. The same muffler appears to be used on the 550, 700, or 750 Hisun variants. The exhaust tip on the back of the muffler is removable and when you do there will be even more engineering issues revealed. The 3/4 inch pipe extends inside the rear chamber of the muffler about 3 inches. There is a metal case over and around the internal 3/4 inch pipe section with a steel screen around that. If the 3/4 inch outlet wasn't bad enough, that case and screen cause even more restriction and back pressure compression. Those of us who turn wrenches already know that screen is only in there because of certain mandated requirements, but now we're talking about outflow that would be around the equivalent to a 1/2 inch outlet with all this. The first attempt to reduce the extreme exhaust temps was done by just removing the screen and cage from the internal section of the exhaust tip. The 3/4 inch tip was reinstalled as just the pipe and the machine test driven again. No longer had quite the extreme scorching heat but still felt like the exhaust temp was still too high. I did notice that the radiant heat from the lower exhaust pipe section which is about 4 inches from the drive shaft was enough to melt and burn the rubber boot that covers the shaft yoke just behind the u-joint. Don't know yet if the rubber parts of the u-joint were compromised. The next attempt to mitigate this problem was to manufacture a new exhaust tip with greater outflow. One that would have the same size pipe on the outflow side to relieve this engine of back pressure and fix the heat problem. My car, my riding lawnmower and other brand UTVs have mufflers designed this way, why not this Hisun machine? I could not find any aftermarket companies that already make this part, so now I do. If you are handy with a mig welder, a drill and some hole saws, then you can make this part too for around $20 worth of materials. (Bi-metal hole saws not included) It's up to you what angle you want coming out of the tip. I went with 90 degrees and a slight downward angle, but 45 degrees will work too. The exhaust outlet is now also a 1 3/4 inch pipe. This seems to have fully solved the extreme exhaust heat problem. The engine idles smoother now, and I do not notice any louder exhaust noise than what I had before. In fact, it's actually quieter now because the high-pressure air release noise the original tip made is gone. The issue of the lower pipe heat next to the drive shaft is still being evaluated. Possible fixes for that if still needed would be a shield wrap on that section of the exhaust pipe or a clamp-on aluminum shield. People, this is an engineering issue, no warranty can fix this. Attached are some pictures I took during this project. Good luck with your Hisun machines.
      Safe trails, E      

• By Marcus Bentley
      Bought my coleman u400 from TSC last year, was running great. I live on a lake and use it almost daily to climb a pretty steep hill from my house down a path to the water. Last week was driving up the hill and it just quit. First thought was I'd run out of gas but it has almost a full tank of gas in it.  Have tried to get it to restart and the lights come on and it tries to turn over but won't catch. Checked the battery and tried to jump it just in case but it's not that. Checked the starter and it's good. Can't find the spark plug to even check that. I called the local repair guy in town and he told me he doesn't work on Hisun since it's all shit and I'd be better off burning the damn thing so that's been no help. Would appreciate any other ideas. 
    • By amautv
      1 1/2 years ago I was riding along in my 2018 Coleman 550 Outfitter when the CVT belt broken.  Just prior to that I was having some shifting issues that I now understand can be part of the clutch. Finally a few months ago I sent it in to a shop who put in a new belt as well as a new wet clutch (drum, one way bearing, etc and an oil change) He fired it up and it turned on fine, sounded fine and I took it home. It was an auto shop but not a UTV specific shop. So get it home and after a half hour or so it started making some noises with my 10 year old driving it around. I get home and he said theres noises again and I played around a bit. Within a short bit of trying to drive it around I started having noises that I now understand was my One Way Bearing being destroyed. Aka metal noises from the bearing falling apart.   Of course, after the cost of $800 to take it to a shop plus $200 in gas, trailer rental etc to take it in and back (it was a friends shop that was a bit of ad istance) I was quite ticked and pushed the UTV back into my garage and left it for a while.  Then this past weekend i watched a bunch of Youtube videos along with a mechanic friend to pull things apart.  We found the spindle was loose, opened it up further and found the one way bearing fell apart in my hand and the little bearings were already worn, no longer round and this was from less than a hour of use. THerefore leading me to believe it had very quick failure after the new wet clutch was put in.  We looked things to look for damage further.  Nothing really scratched/grooves etc so I ordered a new OEM bearing and we put it in, sealed it back up, followed the specs of everything and was 110% sure we put the One Way Bearing in correctly.    We rode it around for a hour, sounded fine.   Next day used it, sounded fine for a half hour.   Third day I turned it on and let it idle a little bit and found that I was hearing metal scraping again like I did right after getting my utv back from the shop.  Therefore I am 99% certain the One Way Bearing is about to break again (already breaking)   Its a brand new OEM belt.  Nothing looks off on the spindle.   I do not know for sure if the shop touched the inner race for which, in my understanding, the One Way Bearing spins. I know I may be sounding ignorant here.  I am not a mechanic by any means but I have learned a bit with the recent Youtube videos and attempted repairs.  Whatever that "ufo" looking object is, we replaced the bearings (those black things that spin) I replaced the whole "Ufo" lol... as the original had some wear/tear that prevented it from spinning perfect. Nothing currently
      visibly looks off... and the issue is mostly when the machine is more in an idle.  It was at an idle when the One Way Bearing sorta went kaput the last time.  THe noises is at an idle... but if I can get it drive, its fine.  It also affects the ability to shift the gears. 

I know I will have to replace the One Way Bearing again... I just dont know what might cause the issue that is destroying the bearinga nd so quickly.   Again, this all started when the belt snapped when I was going about 15 mph down a road on a warm day.  It has higher miles.  The wet clutch was in bad shape and its replaced.   The paperwork says "wet clutch assembly kit")   Is there something that the belt can do to cause damage that might not be as visible but would directly create an issue that lets the bearing get ate right up?? Help me!  I hate this machine and I really want it to run well ... so I can sell it and find something else  haha..
    • By Beaverdam83
      Hi all,  in a world of scammers and blah how does one safely buy a UTV through email and ship it across the country.   Anyone have a process to  not get screwed ?  Guy Sent me pictures.  Guy Sent me a video that was dated today.   I mean. I'm nervous.  Need help
  • Gallery Images