Quantcast

AZTrooperT2

Trooper T2 Larger Tires and Top Speed

I have a Joyner Mini Viper now and I drive it on the street on a regular basis. It runs very comfortably at 50 on the road (about 3000 RPM). I have a trooper now and would like to drive it on the street.

The problem I have is the top speed on these is way short of what they advertise. I was thinking of purchasing a 30’ set of tires for the road (is that the largest that will fit), but I don’t know if that would be enough of a difference to allow this to go at least 50 comfortably. My thought was I would put the off road tires back on it when I leave the street so I don’t impact its performance.

Does anyone drive their Trooper on the road? Any other ideas how to increase the speed?

Thanks

Bill

I have a Joyner Mini Viper now and I drive it on the street on a regular basis. It runs very comfortably at 50 on the road (about 3000 RPM). I have a trooper now and would like to drive it on the street.

The problem I have is the top speed on these is way short of what they advertise. I was thinking of purchasing a 30’ set of tires for the road (is that the largest that will fit), but I don’t know if that would be enough of a difference to allow this to go at least 50 comfortably. My thought was I would put the off road tires back on it when I leave the street so I don’t impact its performance.

Does anyone drive their Trooper on the road? Any other ideas how to increase the speed?

Thanks

Bill

About the only thing you can do at present is bigger tires. Some of us run 31-10.5R15 tires without problem and you do get better gearing for the road. We use them for off road without any preformance loss other then a bit of low gearing preferrable for rock crawling. However, ithey will hit the wheel well when turning. This can be modified easily with a big hammer. Doesn't need much. If you want to be a glutten for punishment, you can redo the framework there like I did. With 31" tires, you will be running 50mph at the same RPM you now run at 43-1/2mph or about 4500rpms.

Lenny

Thanks for the quick reply Lenny. I think that difference would work for me. I looked up some of the ITV top speeds and the RZR was the highest at 63. I'm pretty sure this will be faster than that especially with the larger tires.

I was curious where you were able to find your wheels. I did find the Vision Buckshot wheels on their website, but couldn't find a vendor to purchase them. I also found the ITP SS Alloy SS212 wheels on the ITP website, but again no place to purchase them. Also - I was curious if 15X7 or 15X8 would work better. I'll probably trailer it to most of the place to ride off road so I don't mind swapping wheels before I go.

Like Lenny I also run 31" tires but did not redo my firewall. A little work with a LARGE hammer in the right areas allowed the tires to turn. I have easily cruised down the freeway at nearly 60 mph without redlining my Trooper.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

Thanks for the quick reply Lenny. I think that difference would work for me. I looked up some of the ITV top speeds and the RZR was the highest at 63. I'm pretty sure this will be faster than that especially with the larger tires.

I was curious where you were able to find your wheels. I did find the Vision Buckshot wheels on their website, but couldn't find a vendor to purchase them. I also found the ITP SS Alloy SS212 wheels on the ITP website, but again no place to purchase them. Also - I was curious if 15X7 or 15X8 would work better. I'll probably trailer it to most of the place to ride off road so I don't mind swapping wheels before I go.

I get regular alloy rims in 15". They are generally real cheap if you look around. I then bore them to fit the bolt pattern. To do this, typically the holes overlap into the inside edge of the center hole by about 1/8". Because of this, a milling machine with a center cutting end mill is needed to bore the holes. I then use a 3/8" thick round alluminum plate, drilled the same, like a big washer under the lugnuts to compensate for the holes being into the center a bit. I also replaced the smaller bolts and went to 14mm lug bolts. All my rims are that way including my paddle tire rims and never had a problem. Have to just be careful to center the wheel in the mill then then you can dial out the hole location. One hole will also touch into one of the other existing holes if you use 5 bolt rims like I did.

Lenny

Just make sure you get the right lug nut. They forget to mention that, have you read the parts & pieces thread pinned to the top?

Kinarfi