Quantcast

What's wrong with this picture?

rocmoc

I'm watching a snowmobiling show, SnowRax, on the outdoor channel. The Polaris Supertrax snowmobile is pumping out 150 horses from a 800cc Liberty engine. Our horsepower output is ridiculous in today's market. Someone needs to upgrade / improve our power-plant or replace some Design Engineers. JMHO!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I'm watching a snowmobiling show, SnowRax, on the outdoor channel. The Polaris Supertrax snowmobile is pumping out 150 horses from a 800cc Liberty engine. Our horsepower output is ridiculous in today's market. Someone needs to upgrade / improve our power-plant or replace some Design Engineers. JMHO!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Your right but our engine is basically designed for fuel economy and long life with emmision control for the automobile market where as the snowmobile engine is built as a race engine right to start. Our engine I beleive is a near clone to the engines they use to use in ralley cars overseas and they get a lot of horespower out of them. If the crank and rods and pistons were changed to preformance stuff along with other stuff like superchargers, I think our engines could turn out 200hp. But, were going to try it with your engine first I don't want to blow mine up. I even cut my rev limit down to 5700 RPMs just to stay conservative. I don't miss the revs nor need them.

Lenny

Sadly it is not just the engine. IF we pulled 200hp our of our engine the rest of the drivetrain would be trash very quickly. Just venting! Even my race car has to run a car Toyota diff mated to the 1250cc Yamaha motorcycle engine to with-stand the power. Plus our parts are not CHEAP! You can purchase a used BMW diff for $250 but can't touch a Joyner diff for that! Still venting! My last set of Brake pads cost $6 / corner and now they are $15 / corner. Things aren't getting better! Still venting.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Have you seen the maintenance schedule for some of those things your venting about and thier horsepower? My bosses husky super motard your supposed to replace the cyl piston and rod after every 10 hours or less. Crank at 20 hours. This is "extreme" use. I would not vent too hard about the pricing. As parts become more readily available in the near future you will start to see some of the pricing drop. Enjoy your buggy for what it is. If you wanted fast and lots of power then maybe you should have bought something else? You say you want low end power, that snowmobile doesn't make any power below 7000 rpm. Your comparing apples and oranges. I like my joyners and will stick with them. You could get a all new crew in and redesign everything but then what? You buggy turns into a 17k buggy. Who wants that? I feel you on this but then again what are you really expecting? Go hop on the waiting list for the new rzr and let us know how it performs.

My CRF450R owner's manual says you need to do a top end rebuild at 65 hours. Have had it for 7 years with 400-500 hours. Have never had to change a thing other than oil & filter and it has a ton of low end. Thanks for a light at the end of the tunnel on parts. High prices does bring alternativea into the market which is a good thing. At the time WE WERE the go to power but CanAM & RZR have raised the bar. Hope your & Silverbullet's aftermarket efforts are fruitful or we WILL be left behind as a product and in a drag race. More power doesn't mean we have to give up low-end, waiting for your fixes.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico