Quantcast

cracked gas tank

Petersen

So, after a bit of work on the trooper, it was finally time to get it out and run it, WRONG! Went to fill it up with gas and there is about a 6 inch crack towards the top of the tank.

So far, the front diff has been rebuilt and a new diff put in the rear. Now the tank is out and my dad will see if someone can fix it this week.

My question is, I read somewhere a long time ago about Joyner upgrading tanks or gas tank issues??? Is this correct and were there faulty tanks in the past? Is there a better direction to take this rather than patching the tank and putting it back in?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

So, after a bit of work on the trooper, it was finally time to get it out and run it, WRONG! Went to fill it up with gas and there is about a 6 inch crack towards the top of the tank.

So far, the front diff has been rebuilt and a new diff put in the rear. Now the tank is out and my dad will see if someone can fix it this week.

My question is, I read somewhere a long time ago about Joyner upgrading tanks or gas tank issues??? Is this correct and were there faulty tanks in the past? Is there a better direction to take this rather than patching the tank and putting it back in?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

My first one had the support tabs break off. The second came with more support tabs and a longer, easier access filler tube, don't what mods you want to make while it's out, but you may want to add the surge tank and aux fuel pump and definitely beef up the mounts or maybe rubber mount it. If you have the short fill tube, cut it off and relocate it for easier filling and reconnect with rubber hose. Really no sense in scrapping what you got, but it's always an option.

Kinarfi

My first one had the support tabs break off. The second came with more support tabs and a longer, easier access filler tube, don't what mods you want to make while it's out, but you may want to add the surge tank and aux fuel pump and definitely beef up the mounts or maybe rubber mount it. If you have the short fill tube, cut it off and relocate it for easier filling and reconnect with rubber hose. Really no sense in scrapping what you got, but it's always an option.

Kinarfi

Kinarfi,

Does the surge tank eliminate the engine dying while going down steep declines? Where did you mount yours?

I actually prefer the original (short) filler tube. Although it isn't in the most convenient location for filling, it is reasuring to me I can look inside and confirm exactly how much fuel I have. Also, I can look inside and see if there is debris in my tank--especially in the suction & return ports.

Does the surge tank eliminate the engine dying while going down steep declines? Where did you mount yours?

YES, that is the reason I put mine in, and I had that problem several times before I figured it out and corrected it with a surge tank, have you read the topic on my surge tank yet?

I actually prefer the original (short) filler tube. Although it isn't in the most convenient location for filling, it is reasuring to me I can look inside and confirm exactly how much fuel I have. Also, I can look inside and see if there is debris in my tank--especially in the suction & return ports.

Your correct about that part, makes me want to install a light inside mine so I can see what's in there, I did run a tube up the side of my tank so it would server as a sight glass, but it doesn't work too well and it's always dirty.

Kinarfi

YES, that is the reason I put mine in, and I had that problem several times before I figured it out and corrected it with a surge tank, have you read the topic on my surge tank yet?

Your correct about that part, makes me want to install a light inside mine so I can see what's in there, I did run a tube up the side of my tank so it would server as a sight glass, but it doesn't work too well and it's always dirty.

Kinarfi

I found the info on the surge tank--thanks! I am liking this one I found online:

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=FST02

If it works out I will update the forum.

I found the info on the surge tank--thanks! I am liking this one I found online:

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=FST02

If it works out I will update the forum.

That looks really good, if you want to make your own, You could use a ~24" X 2" pipe with end caps instead of the big piece tubing I used and just drill and tap the bottom cap for drain, low in pipe for the pickup and 3 holes in the top cap, one for fuel in, one for fuel return, one for vent/return to tank.

When it comes to filling the tube, there are 2 themes, first is to use a low pressure pump running all the time, the other is to sense the fuel level and switch the pump on and off as the fuel level in the tube rises and falls, that's what I have. If you use something like a mr.gasket pump and let it run all the time, the fuel keeps getting recirculated back to the main tank, which may be good depending on how much heat is added to the fuel as it goes through the main pump several times, just a thought. Another thought is that once the surge tank is full and capped off, the main pump should suck fuel into it and you would only need the aux pump to bleed any air out.

Kinarfi

One more thought, as time goes on, water vapor turns to water and will accumulate in the tank, I made sure mine had a drain at the lowest point so I could flush water, dirt, etc. and if I need a bit of gas to wash a part or to build a fire while out, I have an easy access point to my fuel.

Started looking for my write up on my surge tank, couldn't find, but here's some photos of the build.

2792659760104110397CTqhDY_th.jpg

first of several