Quantcast

T2 STARTER??

charlie

Lenny - From what I have read we have 3 relays in the fuse box and they are fuel pump, fan and engine. Not sure which relay that starter solenoid wire would go to. Should I just change out all the relays and if so can I just match them up at an auto parts store. I could do that or what I am thinking about doing is running a wire directly from the starter ignition switch to the new relay 85 and just leaving it at that. The old starter wire going to the relay behind the seat would then be dead which is fine. Whatever relay it is going to now must be working because everything else seems fine. Fan, fuel pump, efi, etc. What route should I go with. New wire or try new relay?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had forgotten that there was only 3 relays. I suspose it's possible that the wire from the ignition switch went direectly to the starter solenoid and not thru a relay. Maybe Kinarfi can chime in with that information. I would not fight it and just go with a new wire.

Lenny

Good news now. It fired up after wiring direct to relay from switch. Must have been something in between with that solenoid wire. Either way I learned quite a bit on electrical with all of your help Lenny, Kinarfi and Charlie. At least I know that I have a relay installed now so that eliminates some of the possible starting problems. I had run two wires though the tunnel from the front to the back just in case I ever needed them. I have a T4 so I have to remove the cowling down the middle and there are a number of screws on that one. So, to save time I put in two extra wires. Now down to just one but all is good. Just have to put everything back together and tidy up the wiring. THANKS AGAIN GUYS. Hope this thread helps someone else down the road.

When I rewired my Trooper, I ran a piece of PVC pipe from the front to the rear. It's easy to bend into a curve where needed by heating it with a heat gun, or torch for that matter if your careful. I now can pull wires thru whenever I need to very easily.

Lenny

When I rewired my Trooper, I ran a piece of PVC pipe from the front to the rear. It's easy to bend into a curve where needed by heating it with a heat gun, or torch for that matter if your careful. I now can pull wires thru whenever I need to very easily.

Lenny

bruhaw,

you must have forgot but thats what i told i did when i ran the wires for the fuel controller up to the dash.

hey guys

bruha glad to here you got the trooper going I did as well. Found that I had a partially brocken wire at the starter and poor contact on the solinoid side took care of that and she fires right up now, starter are 174 from silverbullet motorsports and when they said they usually dont sell many I triple checked everything thank god lol.

Had that problem, put an interposing relay in. That is take a small relay, (10 to 20 amp), and pull the wire that activates the solenoid and use it to activate the relay. Then use some #14 wire that goes from the battery side of the starter to the relay and then to the solenoid where the starter wire was. The problem seems to be that the wire used to activate the solenoid is too small and too long to supply enough current to get the solenoid to slam in hard enough to make good contact for the starter motor. I haven't had a problems with this since I added the relay and it used to happen all the time, I got to a point that I always stopped on a hill.

Kinarfi

Finally remembered to take some photos, Doctored them up by adding notes and arrows, I lied about the size of the wire I used, looks like I actually only used #16 awg stranded THHN.

2654332370104282158xnoxxT_th.jpg 2079520100104282158yipObY_th.jpg 2426533570104282158MNySvy_th.jpg 2415380890104282158MmtLbd_th.jpg 2890717110104282158ROZIfe_th.jpg 2584334480104282158EIQQhC_th.jpg 2174027780104282158McRlUq_th.jpg