Quantcast

30" tires on a viper......OK?

I'd like to put some 15" wheels and 30" tires on my 1100 Sand Viper. I want to get more ground clearance. I have already raised the shock mounts as high as the heim joints would allow. Only got about 1 1/2". It now has 27x11x12's on the rear. I'm thinking 30x9.5x15 on the rear and some narrower 30's on the front. My riding is strictly desert, some sand and rocks, no mud. My concern is, will the drive shafts on the Viper handle the 30's OK. I don't know if there will be more stress on the shafts. They seem pretty stout. I run it pretty hard and have had no trouble. Appreciate your thoughts.

Biggest problem with the 30's is it will kill your low end power. Takes a lot to get those bigger tires and wheels moving especially in sand/sand wash. I put 30"s on mine and used them for 20 miles and am going to put them up for sale now. I wanted the ground clearance as well but it is a pretty tough trade off and so I went back to 27's. If you want the 30's they are up for sale. 30X12X14 and 30X10X14 Mudlite XXL's. New $850 on them.

Lenny and I discussed at the Jamboree a few weeks back and I actually bought some different gears for the Trooper off the Renegade. Still need to locate the rear gears as I only was able to acquire a front set. Unless i can get a rear sooner than later I will sell the 30" tires.

Guest Lenny

Biggest problem with the 30's is it will kill your low end power. Takes a lot to get those bigger tires and wheels moving especially in sand/sand wash. I put 30"s on mine and used them for 20 miles and am going to put them up for sale now. I wanted the ground clearance as well but it is a pretty tough trade off and so I went back to 27's. If you want the 30's they are up for sale. 30X12X14 and 30X10X14 Mudlite XXL's. New $850 on them.

Lenny and I discussed at the Jamboree a few weeks back and I actually bought some different gears for the Trooper off the Renegade. Still need to locate the rear gears as I only was able to acquire a front set. Unless i can get a rear sooner than later I will sell the 30" tires.

Hey Bruce, Contact http://www.klung-motor.com/ and see if they can get the pinion gear you need. Keep in mind that you only need the pinion gear and not the ring gear. You can use your existing ring gear as they are the same for the Trooper and the Renegade. Your running the T4 which is heavier then the T2. Rocmoc ran the 31" tires for a long time without problems. There is a bit of a power loss but I think that your big tires though nice tires, take a little more power then the ones Rocmoc ran. Your tires are quite agressive. Still up for a Fall ride?

Lenny

Hey Bruce, Contact http://www.klung-motor.com/ and see if they can get the pinion gear you need. Keep in mind that you only need the pinion gear and not the ring gear. You can use your existing ring gear as they are the same for the Trooper and the Renegade. Your running the T4 which is heavier then the T2. Rocmoc ran the 31" tires for a long time without problems. There is a bit of a power loss but I think that your big tires though nice tires, take a little more power then the ones Rocmoc ran. Your tires are quite agressive. Still up for a Fall ride?

Lenny

I too run the 30" tires on my t-4 and have not noticed enough of a difference to change back. I think the extra ground clearence is well worth what little low end power i may have lost.Maybe what the difference in yours is im running 30x 9.50x 15 on all four corners.

Lenny - yes I am up for the ride in the fall for sure. I still think I would have to buy the whole Renegade differential in talking with a few of the suppliers. Not sure if Klung would sell just the pinion itself but will check. I also need to figure out if I have the front or rear ring and pinion as I am not sure which one it is. Don't want to have two of the same that is for sure. Anyway to figure out which one Rocmoc sold me? If I can get one and get it all figured out I probably would change the gearing out as I am going to pull the diffs next month and have the kits put in.

Thanks guys.........I talked to Discount Tire Direct and the wheels I want only come in 7" width so I'm going to go with 30x9.5x15 on the rear (9.7" wide and 29.6" tall) and 235/75 x15 on the front (9.4" wide and 28.9" tall). Hardly worth the difference but I wanted to keep the front as narrow as possible to make steering easier. I'll see how it affects the low end power.

Hey Lenny......we're heading up toward your way in June. We'll be in Panquitch last week of June and Marysvale for the month of July. A friend of mine lives in Hurricane and he spends the summer in Marysvale. His name is Rod Christensen. Don't know if you know him.

Well......can't wait to get these tires.

Bruce

Guest Lenny

Spur of the moment, No I don't know him. Ride will be in the Lake Havasu area, give or take. Nothing firmed up yet. Your welcome to Join us.

Bruhaw, I'll be looking at my front diff in a couple of days so I'll take a picture of the front pinion for you.

Lenny

Guest Lenny

I would love to join you guys in Lake Havasu.

Good, stay tuned. It will probably be a 2 or 3 months before we zero in on when and where.

Lenny

Joynerperformanceparts

30 " tires on the 1100 viper will take away to much power.I have tried it and had poor results.The little extra clearance is not worth it.If you have an older 2008 it will have a locked diff.Thats what they came with big tires would put to much strain on the output shaft. For sand a wider tire is better more flotation if you need new tires then go with a Maxxis Big Horn or GBC tire they work great.And for some reason will be bigger than the Joyner tire with the same markings size.Just check it out.

Thanks

Rick

Well Rick, I hope you weren't right. Went out yesterday and rode pretty hard up mountains and flat trails just to see how the tires worked. Coming back I rode down a short black top road. Turning into our subdivision I slowed down and turned left and heard a clunk in the back left side. I just tore it down and found I tore up the inside CV joint. Shaft and all looks good. I'm hoping it was just ready to go and not the tires that broke it. Time will tell.

Other than that it ran fantastic.

Bruce

Guest Lenny

It's not the tires. Did the CV oint just loose the balls? If so, you can probably just put it back together. This is caused when the CV jooint gets pulled apart too far.. This can be from too short of an axel (Some Troopers had that), over extending the suspension or the swing arm being loose and being allowed to swing to the outswide letting the CV to come apart.

Lenny

Hi Lenny.......no, the CV joint basket shattered. The only thing that keeps the travel from extending too much is the shock. I've been thinking about putting limiting straps on it. I ordered a new axle with CV's and boots all together. I want to put new boots on the right side also. Anyone know what boots fit. I'd rather not having split boots. The inner is 2 11/16 x 1 and the outter is 2 7/8 x 1.

Thanks,

Bruce

Guest Lenny

Hi Lenny.......no, the CV joint basket shattered. The only thing that keeps the travel from extending too much is the shock. I've been thinking about putting limiting straps on it. I ordered a new axle with CV's and boots all together. I want to put new boots on the right side also. Anyone know what boots fit. I'd rather not having split boots. The inner is 2 11/16 x 1 and the outter is 2 7/8 x 1.

Thanks,

Bruce

The NAPA #686-2149 fits for the Troopers inner CV. It's a speck tight but only about 1/16". I would think you could stretch it over the other end too. The owner at my local NAPA store let me go thru the boxes until I found a match. If you can't stretch it, maybe your auto parts place will allow you to look at the boxes too.I'm assuming that yours being 1100ccs that the CV is the same. I'm running 31" tires and 121 hp and havn't broken my CVs, yet. See my other post at "After Jamboree" made today. The problem still isn't your tires. If you have a completely different cv then I can't say. Maybe yours is a weaker one but I still dought it's the tires.

Kinaarfi, could you add this part numbet to the pinned parts thread. Thanks.

Lenny

Thanks Kinarfi.

Checking the specs on the NAPA #686-2149, the large end is about 3.25". Your Troopers must have larger CV's than the Viper. Norrec Industries doesn't show boots for the Viper and I'm afraid the part number they show for the Trooper won't work.

Lenny, I read your "After Jamboree" thread. I took my right side axle out and I don't think my CV's come apart. I wiped it all down and the balls stayed in the cage. Right side looks good so I'll just re-lube it and put it back with new boots. I'm going down to Blythe, CA where there is about four auto parts stores and see what I can do. I'll let you know.

Can't wait to ride with you guys, I like to go fast, too.

Thanks for all the info,

Bruce

Guest Lenny

This could get ugly. When riding with Bruce and his Friend Tom, I was running nearly wide open down the wash. We were not only on the established track thru the wash but several times we were blazing our own trail where you would hit small side washes maybe 6 or 8" deep with square edges. Once in a while one would come up that would be maybe 12" deep or a bit more and we would have to quickly scrub speed so as not to blast it too hard. Some times we would run out of open wash and have to zip between taller scrub. Now, we are going to add 'Spur of the Moment' to the mix who is going to want to kick it up a notch. I wouldn't consider riding like this without having my seat belt and shoulder harnesses drawn up real tight. Rocmoc, if you want to ride along, I could throw a piece of foam in the seat for you. This could get ugly. Does anyone have any idea of what it cost to get air lifted to the hospital?

Lenny

What could get ugly is if my friend Charlie comes with me. This winter we swapped out his 150hp VW engine with a Honda V-Tech 3.5L V-6. 300hp. Charlie built his own long travel chassis. He's been building cars since he was 15 years old. Been racing most of his life. He likes to go fast.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116641377128105759104/Charlie#